Windows 10 Slick Trick!

Drew

Banned
It is terrific to be able to, internally, upgrade Builds! The amount of time & trouble, fuss, actions, it saves us Beta Testers!! This is a most, welcome & wonderful development! Much nicer than 'the old days' (ways)!

YEA!!

And it only shows via WU in Windows 10 machines.

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it loaded on Virtual box and am upgrading it now. I wish it had a progress meter so you could tell how far along you were.
Joe

It took me about 50 minutes to download. The install not sure but didn't seem to take long.

Did I mention this?...

If you manually installed build 9860 using the > PC Settings / Preview Builds method, after the new build is installed open the Control Panel and run Windows Update. You may find that KB3008956 has not been installed which is part of the new build. You need to manually install this update.

See BOLD as path To Get

When done > Check Windows Updates to finish and Restart. As per above

Cheers,
Drew
Windows 10OS.jpg

I checked my updates, (Of which it now says "none and none available". Did a few checks, rebooted and the update was waiting. All finished now. Just searching for the improvements!

You're looking for improvements )tooo) and I'm looking anything wrong. Wonder who will have success 1st

I'm not sure I agree that this method of upgrade is neat, keen or even slick at all.
This thing was huge, nearly the size of the initial ISO. It installed as an upgrade, leaving us with about a 3.5 or so GB Windows.OLD folder. And we all know how well most upgrades actually do overall.

AND
If this is the method they are going to continue to use after the final GA release, I don't believe I'm gonna like it any better then.
Rumors are indicating that this will be the last major Windows release ever and that we'll be running Windows 10 for a very, very long time with annual updates like 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc., etc.
You'd have to be completely oblivious not to know that in the past, there has been some serious problems with Windows Updates.
So what happens if you have an issue, any issue with your Operating System? You start back at 10 and perform multiple huge updates to get back to where you were when the problem occurred?

I don't know about anyone else but I'll take a good old fashion ISO and the ability to do a custom clean install, every time.
The fact that it is so difficult for so many people to actually get their hands on a Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO currently, to me seems complete BS.
And it doesn't look like they're going to make it any easier in the foreseeable future. I just don't get it, nor to I get the whole giddiness of OH boy, isn't this cool, I just got a three gig upgrade automagically.

That's me venting. Things are maybe easier for the drones but when those drones need help from tech enthusiast, it sure would be nice to have some resources available so we could actually help someone.

On virtual box the upgrade ate up almost the whole drive. I had to use Windows cleanup utility to get free space back.
Joe

I'm not sure I agree that this method of upgrade is neat, keen or even slick at all.
This thing was huge, nearly the size of the initial ISO. It installed as an upgrade, leaving us with about a 3.5 or so GB Windows.OLD folder. And we all know how well most upgrades actually do overall.

AND
If this is the method they are going to continue to use after the final GA release, I don't believe I'm gonna like it any better then.
Rumors are indicating that this will be the last major Windows release ever and that we'll be running Windows 10 for a very, very long time with annual updates like 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, etc., etc.
You'd have to be completely oblivious not to know that in the past, there has been some serious problems with Windows Updates.
So what happens if you have an issue, any issue with your Operating System? You start back at 10 and perform multiple huge updates to get back to where you were when the problem occurred?

I don't know about anyone else but I'll take a good old fashion ISO and the ability to do a custom clean install, every time.
The fact that it is so difficult for so many people to actually get their hands on a Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO currently, to me seems complete BS.
And it doesn't look like they're going to make it any easier in the foreseeable future. I just don't get it, nor to I get the whole giddiness of OH boy, isn't this cool, I just got a three gig upgrade automagically.

That's me venting. Things are maybe easier for the drones but when those drones need help from tech enthusiast, it sure would be nice to have some resources available so we could actually help someone.

Last edited:
Thanks..... And where might I find the .ESD file for this latest TP build so I can actually try this. Would be cool if it works.

Definitely will give it a try at my first opportunity although that truly seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, when it would be so much easier if they just made the ISO available to anyone who wished to perform a custom clean install.

I know, understand and appreciate the fact that they are testing their ability to push updates in this new fashion and I respect that. But even if they made it available a few days or a week even after the big push it would sure be swell.

Back