Windows 10 Slick Trick!

I guess I am out of luck. I don't have a recoveryimage folder.

Have you upgraded to the new build. That folder will only show after the new build upgrade then you can make the ISO with it the link above. I'm like Trouble...why not just give us the ISO to clean install with.

Hi bassfisher, I have upgraded to the new build. I just don't have it. I think maybe because I built my desktop from scratch may be the reason.

When searching for it this is the message I get.

Capture.PNG

don't search for it....open your C drive or what drive you have 10 installed. I do this...start button>this PC>C drive and there it is.

recovery image.PNG

Thanks Bassfisher found it. Now I just got to find a file to convert it. Tried following the links Drew had but was told the page was unavailable. I will google to see what I can find.

Thank You!
Ok, tried to follow link to esd converter but told it is unavailable.

Last edited:
Some have Install.esd.
Some have Install.wim.

Users upgrading from win8/Win 8.1 to Win 1o Build 9841 and then to Build 9860 will NOT get the Install.esd as mentioned in the link given by bassfisher.
Instead they will get Install.wim.
In this case, the tutorial will not apply.

Users doing clean install to Win 10 TP Build 9841 and then to Build 9860 will get Install.esd. The tutorial will work.

I can give you the link to the forum from which the above information originated. But, I am not sure I am allowed to do that.

Some have Install.esd.
Some have Install.wim.

Users upgrading from win8/Win 8.1 to Win 1o Build 9841 and then to Build 9860 will NOT get the Install.esd as mentioned in the link given by bassfisher.
Instead they will get Install.wim.
In this case, the tutorial will not apply.

Users doing clean install to Win 10 TP Build 9841 and then to Build 9860 will get Install.esd. The tutorial will work.

I can give you the link to the forum from which the above information originated. But, I am not sure I am allowed to do that.

This is what I have in my RecoveryImage folder..........

Image 1.jpg

There's a very detailed discussion about this on "the other side"... :)
Hope everyone is having a good time with the new build... and their personally made ISO.. :p

cheers!

I went for the clean install for each update. It was then quite easy to make the ISOs. But, for those who updated their Wind 8.1 etc, and have the .wim, maybe, if you can be bothered, this will help. It is just one of many sites offering the same.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5750929_convert-wim-file-iso-file.html

Frankly, I would suggest, unless you are a real testing enthusiast, you are wasting your time. MS appear to have taken the unusual step of offering selected builds, as they work through it. You could end up with quite a large number of useless burned ISOs!! I have a couple of laptops with Windows X installed from the ISO. Only noticeable difference is it gets rid of the double login picture.

I have no idea what went on between MS and private sites, but I read that many of the pages offering the ESD converter, have been closed. Rather odd really. The method has been around for some years. There iare alternatives, but theu require a little more work. IMGBurn is one:

http://www.pagestart.com/win8esdtodvd11041202.html

Reference the Wim/Esd thing. I can follow the argument that you get one or the other, according to how you use the upgrade, (no idea of why that choice occurs), but, for users who have not been down that road, the .Wim is the file used for "Windows to go", which, as is known, is only available in the Enterprise edition.

Reference the Wim/Esd thing. I can follow the argument that you get one or the other, according to how you use the upgrade, (no idea of why that choice occurs), but, for users who have not been down that road, the .Wim is the file used for "Windows to go", which, as is known, is only available in the Enterprise edition.

Mine is non-Enterprise version.
I installed it over my Win 8.1 Pro which was, at the time, the only OS in the system.

MS created a lot of weird issues, one of which was that some users ( probably of Enterprise version ) were asked to activate and they couldn't.
Some successful in using Slui 3 and then enter the generic product key.
Some followed the same steps and failed to activate.
While all the time we were made to believe that it was supposed to be activated automatically..... in both versions.

Interesting. I have an issue, which I am sure is related. It could be poor graphics capabilities on my computers though.

My audio does work, but comes on after the event - work that one out!

For example, on boot up, I get the login noise, appreciably before the actual login screen. And Yes, at the moment it , on mine, does take longer to do its thing before I get to the desktop. I do notice a lot of activity , even after arriving at the desktop. Nothing apparent , though, in the task manager

The latest build seems to have issues with USB driver. It doesn't read all of my USB flashdrive. I thought it was a hardware issue but when I switch to Win 7, everything is working fine. Everything is also working fine during the previous build.

Back