Windows 7 Slow Network Printing - One More Round

wjanowski

I have a desktop running Windows 7 Build 7057, with a Canon MP530 attached. I also have a laptop running Vista Home Premium. They are connected on my home network, the printer is set as shared, and is viewable from the laptop. All shares on the desktop are viewable and accessible from the laptop, so I believe the network and sharing are properly setup.

When I try to print from the laptop to the MP530, it takes 10-15 seconds for the print dialog to pop up, and another 10-15 seconds to respond when the Print button is clicked. It's then another 10-20 seconds for the page to actually print.

Now, before Jimbo45 jumps on me, when I try his "poodlefake" method to fool the laptop into thinking it has a local printer, I get an error. When I try to create a local port on the laptop as Link Removed, I get a "The Network Name Cannot Be Found" error. I don't understand why this would be when the laptop can find and access the shared folders properly.

Any ideas?

It seems like you are encountering delays and issues when trying to print from your Vista laptop to the Canon MP530 printer that is connected to your Windows 7 desktop. The fact that your shared folders are accessible indicates that the network and sharing settings are correctly configured.

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to address the printing issue:

1. Check Printer Drivers:
- Ensure that the printer drivers for the Canon MP530 are correctly installed on both the Windows 7 desktop and the Vista laptop. Outdated or corrupted drivers can cause printing delays and errors.

2. Network Discovery:
- Confirm that network discovery and file sharing are enabled on both the Windows 7 and Vista computers. This setting allows devices on the network to see each other.

3. Firewall and Antivirus:
- Temporary disable the firewall and antivirus software on both computers to see if they are blocking the printing process. If printing works after disabling them, adjust the settings to allow printer communication.

4. Printer Sharing Permissions:
- Check the printer sharing permissions on the Windows 7 desktop to ensure that the Vista laptop has the necessary permissions to access and print to the shared printer.

5. Network Ports:
- Verify that the network ports required for printing are open on both computers. Port 9100 is commonly used for printing over a network.

6. Test Network Connectivity:
- Ensure that both computers have stable network connections. Test the connectivity between the Windows 7 desktop and the Vista laptop to verify that there are no connectivity issues causing delays.

7. TCP/IP Printing Protocol:
- Instead of using the shared printer method, you can also try adding the printer using the TCP/IP printing protocol directly on the Vista laptop. This method allows you to bypass any sharing issues.

8. Printer Spooler Service:
- Restart the Print Spooler service on both computers. Sometimes, issues with the Print Spooler can cause delays in printing.

9. Advanced Printer Troubleshooting:
- If the basic steps do not resolve the issue, you can try advanced troubleshooting steps specific to the Canon MP530 printer and Windows Vista.

By following these steps, you should be able to identify and resolve the printing issue between your Windows 7 desktop and Vista laptop. Let me know if you need further assistance or if you encounter any specific errors during the troubleshooting process.

Back