Windows 7 Slow PC

KevinSpy

Went from a dual processor XP machine to a quad processor Win7 machine. Sure the new machine is faster, but not appreciably so. I use Diskkeeper every night.

Thanks for any help!!

:confused: Did you clean install Windows 7? What are your specs? You need to give us more info to work on.
Anyway, Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista, it will use a lot more resorces than XP, if you are unhappy with the speeds go back to XP, you can try configuring msconfig (Start > Run > msconfig.exe) to stop so many programs starting up with the PC, but otherwise there is not a lot you can do, you could get more RAM, this would make the PC faster too.

Last edited:
:confused: Did you clean install Windows 7? What are your specs? You need to give us more info to work on.
Anyway, Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista, it will use a lot more resorces than XP, if you are unhappy with the speeds go back to XP, you can try configuring msconfig (Start > Run > msconfig.exe) to stop so many programs starting up with the PC, but otherwise there is not a lot you can do, you could get more RAM, this would make the PC faster too.

This is a new machine and never has XP on it.

Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.83 GHz
4gb RAM

Don't know enough to go into msconfig and monkey around. ( I know enough to be dangerous, ie. crash it)

You cant do much harm by using Msconfig to tweak performance in Windows 7, I will walk you through it;

1) Click start then in the search box type 'Msconfig' and click enter
2) A window will appear, you need to click the 'Boot' tab
3) To make your computer use all processors at startup click 'Advanced Options'
4) Then Check the 'Number Of Processors' box and select the highest number
5) Then Check the 'Maximum Memory' box to use the full 4GB of memory at startup, then click 'Ok'
6) If you want your computer to start even clicker check the 'No GUI boot' box.
7) You can also change the timeout from 30 seconds to 1 or something low.
8) Next click the 'Startup' tab
9) Click the 'Disable all' button
10) Then go through the list and check things you want to start-up with the computer, include things like Security and disable things like iTunes, Quicktime, Adobe Reader and drivers.

Now click Ok and reboot your computer, it should run quicker.

Went from a dual processor XP machine to a quad processor Win7 machine. Sure the new machine is faster, but not appreciably so. I use Diskkeeper every night.

Thanks for any help!!

Don't forget that moving from a dual to a quad CPU will only show the benefits when multi-threading software is used so it isn't surprising that your not seeing a massive boost as this is relative to the software used..

Back
Top Bottom