Windows 8 Snap

As far as I'm concerned the Metro rapidly turns into a cluttered mess as you install software. Like I said Media Player Classic added 14 items to Metro alone most of them rarely used. In Windows 7 they would be in one folder and the folders would be in alphabetical order in Start. I know you can remove items from Metro but to me it was more trouble to use than it was worth. The horizontal scrolling isn't intuitive to most desktop users either.
Joe

Hi

My best argument for the way I do it is an image of my desktop.
(yes I gave in and installed classic shell)

Desktop.jpg

This is my new Windows 8 desktop on my new 27" monitor.

I'm not done installing stuff yet but it will look pretty much the same when I get done, just a few more icons.

This is it, I do everything from here.
I don't have to go to the start menu, I just click once on the icon for what ever I want to open, my browser, my mail, Windows Explorer, Media Player Control Panel, my search engine, (not installed yet) all of the software I use regularly.

As I said I put the programs that I want to be able to open when I have other programs open on the task bar, so they are visible.

Every thing else is on Rocket Dock, grouped by program type, i.e. games, graphics software, Windows tools etc.

I still have about 10 more icons for Rocket Dock, some more games and video editing tools etc. and a few things for the task bar.

The wide screen format gives me a lot more room.

Mike

I must add that I still use win 8 pretty much the same way I used win 7 except that the start menu has now become the Metro screen.
I dislike icons on the desktop but that's simply my personal preference. Everyone has their own way of using the Windows 8 GUI whether it's using icons or not.
Let's not forget though that we are using the os in a desktop environment and some portions of win 8 has clearly been made for use with a tablet.
Does this mean that I should dismiss the os as unusable?
Of course not.
I remember when Windows 7 was first released with tools included for use with a Tablet (Snipping Tools etc). I remember thinking 'what the hell' and removed them straight away thinking that it was gobbling up huge resources.
Silly, silly me.
As things turned out I eventually left the Tablet features enabled. Did it gobble up huge resources? Of course not and the snipping tool even turned out to be quite handy (even though it was designed for use with another form factor).

Clearly Metro has been designed with Tablets in mind and even though I'm using it in a desktop environment, like the snipping tool, some of it is extremely handy and makes for a more interesting, forward looking os. Even though Windows 8 has some issues, using it really does feel 'Next gen'....

As both Davehc and myself have mentioned on many occasions, I/we feel like the Metro UI page (when used in a desktop environment) can be viewed as a Start menu but spread across the whole desktop. Using it this way is no different to using the start menu in other windows versions. I mean where's the difference apart from the layout? You click to open the start menu and similarly you click to open the metro screen, still using that bottom left hand corner I note.
You can also use the Task bar or Desktop to pin icons or even use good old rocket dock if one wants to. So it kinda baffles me when people say it's harder to get around in. Why does clicking open the Metro screen differ so much to clicking open the start menu? They are pretty much one and the same thing surely?
Small changes can and may make a big difference; If I close your nose and blindfold you and ask you to chew on a potato you will not be able to discern what you are chewing. You may say that the METRO is just the Start menu spread out but this simply baffles the mind of many users.

Some designs are so well suited to the work intended that there is no real need to change them. Sharks, the round wheel, cockroaches, drinking cups, stairs, etc ad infinitum. Yes you can improve and refine them but their basic design is so good that it really does not need to be changed. The same goes for drop down menus (extremely intuitive).

We are the result of evolution and our brain is hard wired to learn new things but is restricted by the way it does it. Intuition is mandatory to an efficient brain and when you remove that (RIBBON, WIN 8 UI) then you are forcing the brain to learn something new that is not intuitive and thus counter productive. Of course many people will feel straight at home with win 8 METRO and many will eventually learn it but without the intuition I fear MS has regressed in the wetware (human users) department in favour of hardware (resources, faster boot time, etc).

I feel that the marketing department had and has the final say and the marketing department says "Give priority to Tablet and smartphone while including PCs".

"When you look at the major points of criticism that users have regarding Windows 8, they boil down to two, maybe three issues that every argument seems to concentrate on. The criticized elements are highly visible, while the majority of improvements made to the operating system itself are not.

Features like improved security, reset and refresh, support for UEFI, secure boot, better multi-monitor support, file history, storage spaces or hybrid boot are not as visible as the new Start screen or the missing start menu."

Taken from an article I found this morning.

Hi

That's the part I like, you can use Windows 8 the way you want and not lose any of the advantages it offers.

You get the improvements but you can ignore the part you don't like.

This is mostly an argument about the look of the interface, (which I personally don't think is appropriate for a large screen PC) but I can still have my simple clean interface, leaving my desktop free of clutter.

That's the best thing about Windows, try doing that on an Apple.

I love my iPad but the restrictions on what you can do drive me crazy.

Mike

Exactly, Mike. For instance the Start screen can be use OR NOT. OR partially or occasionally used. IT can have many Tiles of as few as 1 (Desktop). Tiles can be large or small, grouped, organized and arranged. Have few enough to need no scrolling. Screens can be moved laterally via scroll bar @ the bottom or by mouse wheel. WinQ can be used instead of Start & setting up its Tiles. Alternatively, a window can be created & sit on the Taskbar offering the equivalent of WinQ and made to display how a User likes.

The Desktop Toolbar can be used offering, basically, something a bit like the old 'start menu' and from which one can drill down to everything and have immediate access to all/any desktop icons/shortcuts.

Making use of the "Switcher Bar" is terrific, too.

Certainly, some things are not so great; example, while there is a build-in PDF Reader that will open PDFs w/out needing to add any 3rd Party reader, prefer to continue w/ Adobe Reader.

But, a lot of what is offered or available out-of-the-box is damn cool.

There are, indeed, lots of possibilities and variations.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is a way to TOTALLY remove METRO and have classic menus on a desktop that I am familiar with,; Then I may consider win 8. It is a must for me to have an OS that boots directly to desktop with a start button and classic menus. When I say get rid of METRO I mean exactly that. I want to close applications the way it is done with all windows up to 7. If this is possible and I will never have to see METRO then I am sure that win 8 may offer me what I am looking for.

:)

The distinction has to be made whether the discussion is Win8 Store APPs or applications. These are 2 different things, having completely different behavior (from each other).

Some APPs show in Win8, by default, and can be seen via WinQ or on the initial Start screen or found in the Store. The use of these APPs is 100% optional.

Applications, ie various, programs, utilities and other software open on the desktop as Windows Explorer windows, having the same behavior as ever and can be close via a red 'x' at the top right corner of said windows.

Using Desktop Toolbar displays a textual listing from which one can drill down directly; together w/ the Power Users menu there is a non-graphical 'start menu' far better than any offering prior.

Lastly, creating an Applications windows/folder on the Taskbar ALL applications, the equivalent of WinQ, APPs and applications are at hand w/out changing screens.

All the above, leaving "Metro" a moot point, a non-issue and w/out adding any 3rd Party material.

The only requirement is a willingness for 1 click or 1 keystroke upon Boot-up at the Start screen, blink of an eye.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Hi Tanzanos. It is apparent that you are referring to your present apps, with which you are familiar! There is no way to actually eliminate the metro - Yet. But you can apply functions which will allow you to boot directly into the better known legacy desktop. From there, there is little to add to you present experience with windows 7. You can install programs, run them in the same manner, and exit from them also, in the same way as you have always done. The Classic menu is the best way to accomplish this. It does not "Hack" your OS in any way. It is only a third party program which resembles the old start menu. After installing, if that is the path you wish to take, you will never see the Metro screen again (unless, of course, your deliberately click into it)

You can avoid Metro, even, w/out adding anything. That's what I was trying to articulate a couple or entries back. You can go to Desktop & never look back. I've been doing it, I know it's possible. But, yes, one way or another, if it bothers a person, so-called Store APPs and Start & its Tiles can be avoided.

And, yep, as David mentions, it, basically, is, then just another Windows computer, though better than ever. But, yeah, just, still, windows, menus, click, close, save, print, all the usual stuff. Run programs, open stuff, spend time on the Net... it's not intimidating or weird or bad... just a bit different. But, that's ok. It's better, too

Hi Tanzanos.

Just install Classic Shell...

Welcome to Classic Shell

It will be just like using what ever version of Windows you want.
I've used it ever since Windows 7 came out.

Here's my desktop on my new computer...

Newcomputerdesktop.jpg

Your computer will boot directly to your desktop.

I also recommend Rocket Dock.
That's it at the bottom of my screen just above the task bar.

About RocketDock - RocketDock.com

Watch the video!!!

Mike

Mike, I don't think the RocketDock link is going where you wanted it to. Maybe but, I don't think so... you check it.
It's going to a place to get a toolbar that is known malware/spyware.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Mike is just recommending a demo video. There is also a download tab on the link where you can download the full program. I have not heard of any spyware associations with the site?

The only negative comment I have to say about CNET is their reviews on the software. I have come across rave reviews on software that other sites and forums totally gave them a thumbs down and recommend to totally avoid. I have never had any malware from CNET but their opinions on software is something else. They praise software that is basically worthless. I don't remember offhand the pertinent software. Download only when you are sure it is good software. FILEHIPPO is much better.

Back
Top Bottom