Windows 10 [SOLVED] Weird Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices?

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
I've got a gigabit Ethernet switch with a few different gigabit-capable devices attached, one of which is a 64-bit Win 10 Pro (1511) and the other that matters is an Amazon Fire TV 2. Running a couple of different internet speed tests on the Fire TV consistently shows about 90 Mb/s speeds (never lower than 80), while the Win 10 box shows a max of only 14 Mb/s, and usually less! I used TestMy.Net & speedof.me under Windows.

The two devices are only 4 feet apart. I've not only tried several different Cat 6 Ethernet cables, but I've tried the most relevant test of all: I've connected the very same cable serving the Fire TV to the Win 10 box. But no matter what, I never get more than 14 Mb/s under Windows!!

I've disabled all firewalls and AVs, but this makes no difference. The Windows 10 box is based on an ASUS Z-87A mobo that definitely's using a gigabit Ethernet port.

What could reasonably explain this utterly ludicrous difference and what can I do about it?

You can try disabling autotuning.
  • Open an elevated command prompt (right click and select 'Run As Administrator')
  • Type the following netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
  • Test the internet speed again

Thanks for your reply! I was very hopeful for your suggestion, and even tried rebooting, then re-entering the cmd, then trying the speed tests again, but there was no change.

Thanks anyway!!

Are they using the same protocol (IPv4 / IPv6)?

Hi,and thanks for your assistance. I disabled IPv6 at the router, and all the addresses shown on the Fire TV are IPv4 addresses, so yes, that's the same. But when I looked at the network config, I noticed that they were using different DNS addresses, so I corrected this (now they're both using OpenDNS). Alas, it made no difference.

But I also noticed that the Win 10 "Node Type" was set to "Hybrid", and I seem to recall reading somewhere that this could be problematic. Does anyone know?

Here's the output of ipconfig /all

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Beta
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E4-33-47-4A-9B-FF
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter MyTAP:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-36-F7-8C-99
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter isatap.{291120B0-7654-463F-86E8-0F0A97FA2B65}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Just FYI, I tried changing my Ethernet "Node Type" from Hybrid to Broadcast (since I don't use WINS), but it didn't make any difference. I changed it back...

Important Info!

I booted up a Live Zorin 12 USB and confirmed the networking configuration was visually identical to the main 64-bit Win 10 Pro settings, then ran the speed tests several times. The results were what they always should have been: about 90 Mb/s.

Then I booted up a previously installed 32-bit Windows 10 Pro and did the same. Again, I got ~ 90 Mb/s!

Then I ran both my typical AV, Avira Pro, as well as MBAM, on the main 64-bit Win 10 from the 32-bit Win 10 system (to avoid any potential hidden malware, but neither detected any malware.

So the problem has to involve some kind of non-apparent software tangle somewhere in the networking system. I need more help, please!!

I don't trust your speed check programs. Please go to speedtest.net and test your devices with this app instead. Report back speeds now.

Have you reset your router? Or changed it? You may have a router virus, which are rare but are occurring more and more these days. Take a look here how to fix that: Drivers Constantly Being Corrupted

Also, you mentioned your Motherboard on your PC. Is that a self-built PC you built? If so, please provide full HW specs. If you don't have them or can't find, please visit piriform.com and download the free SPECCY diagnostic program. Run the program and post back the resulting output .txt file back here to this thread for us to analyze your HW. Have you performed HW testing on this PC? If not, you should consider doing so. Use my TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE here for complete step-by-step instructions: Drivers Constantly Being Corrupted

This should take no more than 3-4 days; possibly more if you've never done comprehensive HW testing of your computer before.

Post back the requested information and we'll advise you further.

<<<BIGBERJEDI>>> :nerdie:

Thanks for your reply, BIGBEARJEDI, but I actually solved the problem last night, when after making the changes I'm about to describe, I got 90-95 Mbps several times in a row, and I'm still getting that now!

I feel pretty damn stupid for not thinking of this much earlier, but I fortuitously noticed the icon on my crowded desktop for TCPOptimizer v4.0, ran it, chose the optimized settings and over-rode a few of them, applied the changes, then rebooted, then ran TestMy.net again, and got 95 Mb/sec!!

(With respect, wise BigBear, I've always found SpeedTest.net to be a rather poor alternative to TestMy.net. See, for example: Why Do My Results Differ From Speedtest.net / Ookla Speed Tests? )

Here are the latest TCP Optimizer 4.0 settings I'm now using:

AutoTuningLevelLocal=normal
ScalingHeuristics=disabled
CongestionProvider=ctcp
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=20
MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=20
MaxConnectionsPerServer=20
MaxConnectionsPerServer=20
LocalPriority=4
HostsPriority=5
DnsPriority=6
NetbtPriority=7
NonBestEffortLimit=0
Do not use NLA=1
NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
SystemResponsiveness=10
Size=3
LargeSystemCache=1
MaxUserPort=65534
TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
TCPNoDelay=1
DefaultTTL=64
EcnCapability=enabled
Chimney=disabled
Timestamps=disabled
EnableDCA=disabled
MaxSynRetransmissions=4
NonSackRttResiliency=enabled
InitialRto(ms)=
MinRto(ms)=
[Local Area Connection]
MTU=1500
MTU=1500
TcpAckFrequency=1
TcpDelAckTicks=-1
TCPNoDelay=1
Receive-Side Scaling State=1
NetAdapterRsc=2
Large Send Offload=2
Checksum Offload=-5

Now, I'm no expert on these settings, so if anyone sees any setting that's a poor choice, please let me know, but I'm delighted with the high speeds I'm getting now!

Thanks to all who responded!

Back
Top Bottom