Some applets do not work

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by alkolkin, Sep 29, 2009.

1. alkolkin

alkolkin New Member

The Personalize and Screen Resolution applets do not work.
    When I click on them I get the message:
    'Windows cannot find ". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

How do I fix this please, please :confused:

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi alkolkin,
    Have you tried restoring your system back to an earlier time?

Another possible fix would be to boot from the 7 DVD and when you reach the install screen choose 'Repair' instead.

3. alkolkin

alkolkin New Member

Thank you for responding KeMical. Unfortunately, the restore to an earlier time did not help because this problem had evidently been around longer than my string of backups. I went back a couple of days in the regular system restore and it too was too near time and I was concerned with going back more than a couple of days because I have done a lot to the system during that time,

Furthermore, the repair within Windows 7 only repairs start-up capabilities, it does not repair the entire installation.

Therefore, what I had to do was upgrade in place using the original CD. I inserted the CD from within the Windows 7 environment and clicked on Upgrade. That worked, of course, but it took a long time.

I find that this is a design flaw. I think that the "Repair" function ought to do more than just fix a problem in rebooting. Do you think that the average user would find this???? I do see the problem in designing such a feature, but it sure would be easier to do than to do an in place upgrade (of course it weas not an upgrade, it was just overwriting the Windows 7 installation with the original Windows 7 installation).

Let me know what you think.

4. kemical

To be honest I had forgotten that the repair feature just repaired the start up but your right, it should replace any missing files within the installation.
    Good idea on the upgrade though.
    I wonder what caused your initial problem?

5. alkolkin

alkolkin New Member

I was fooling around with the OC capabilities built into my Nvidia BIOS. MISTAKE! It caused hard disk corruption and a system crash. I was forced to run CHKDSK and wallah! the files Windows 7 files required for those applets must have been wiped out by that archaic process. I should stick with what I know, but I am incapable of resisting the temptation to learn something new.

6. kemical

I suffer from the same... lol. The mess I get myself into sometimes because I've been fiddling with something is just unreal lol... but like you say, if you don't look, you'll never know.