Windows 7 Some services not starting!

alebcay

Hello everyone,

Today, my computer just finished installing updates, and was waiting for me at the user selection/log in screen when I checked on it. I powered it off by holding the power button down to change some BIOS settings. (In the end, I did not save any changes to the BIOS, so I can rule that out) After rebooting and logging in, MSE and avast both tell me that their respective services have been stopped, and WiFi is not working either (its stuck as connected, but has the small yellow triangle in the icon, it says its identifying, but its been stuck like that). Other services, such as Dropbox and RocketDock have also been stopped on my computer.

I then rebooted into Safe Mode with Networking. WiFi is still not working, and now, audio service is also stopped. From here, I uninstalled all of the updates that had been installed today. I then rebooted normally.

Finally, RocketDock and Audio Service are running again, avast!, MSE, Dropbox, and WiFi are not still. I'm using Malwarebytes' and avast! to scan for crap that might be doing stuff (Malwarebytes' has already picked up four positives, both scans are still underway).

Does anybody know where the problem lies? Is it possibly because I gave it a "hard shutdown"?

Last edited:
Hi alebcay,

I am Sudipta_S from Dell Social Media and Communities Team.

With regards to your issue, i would recommend a system restore to a point when it worked or to a point before installing the updates.

To perform a system restore, given below are the steps.

Open the Start Menu. Click on All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and System Restore. You will get a pop up box and click on the Next button. Select or Choose a different restore point, and click on the Next button. Select (click on) a listed restore point that you want to restore the drives that were included in the restore point back to how they were when the restore point was created. Click on the Next button. Click on the Finish button. You will then get a pop up message "Once started, System Restore may not be interrupted. Do you want to continue?" Select Yes. This will immediately restart your computer to finish the system restore. After the computer has restarted, you will get a pop up box which will state if the system restore was successful, click on the Close button.
Also adding to it as you have mentioned you have 2 anti-virus software for your computer Avast and Microsoft security essential and hence you might have to uninstall one of them as you cannot have 2 security software running in windows at the same time. To uninstall any of the program you have to go to start-control panel-programs and features-click on the one you want to uninstall and restart the computer once it is done.

Kindly revert for further clarifications,

Thanks and regards,
Dell_Sudipta_S
Dell Social Media and Communities Responder
Dell | Facebook
Twitter
@DellCares - YouTube

Last edited:
Hi,

I do not have a System Restore point that goes back to before the incident occurred. What should I do now?

Hi alebcay,
Do make sure that only one security software is installed in the system (either Avast or MSE). After that, try creating a new USER ACCOUNT and check if the issue is fixed. If the new USER ACCOUNT works fine, you can delete the old account and start using the new one.

To create a NEW ACCOUNT, try the following steps:

Go to Start - type in "User Account" in the "Search programs & files" (if it has Win 7 as the OS) and press the "Enter" keyor else, for other OS, go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Manage Another Account - Create a new account.

Note: The type of account for the new account should be Administrative Type. And, If the new account works fine, backup or migrate your data to the new account before deleting the old account.

Try logging in through the new account and check how it works. If the issue persists, I'm afraid,you will need to backup your data and perform PC Restore / OSRI.
Kindly revert for further clarifications,
Thanks and regards,
Dell_Sudipta_S
Dell Social Media and Communities Responder
Dell | Facebook
Twitter
@DellCares - YouTube

Back