Windows Vista Some TV shows recorded in Vista won't play

winterwolfes

I just installed windows 7. All of my recorded movies and shows play just fine but three. When I try to play these three I get a message that says they are copy protected and can only be played on the PC where they were recorded. Thing is, they are on the PC where they were recorded and of course these 3 are the ones my daughter wants the most.

Any ideas?

Gave PowerDVD a shot. No go. What happens is the same as every other player. The file starts and as soon as it get to the point that that actual show starts it just cuts off.

I spent 2 hours today with Microsoft. I gave them control of my computer remotely. They play around with it for the whole 2 hours. They updated my DRM files and other stuff. Nothing worked. Finally they just said, sorry we can't help.

I guess I just lose these recordings. Too bad. Nothing ever works 100% the way it is supposed to I guess. I've never upgraded windows without casualties. I guess I'll just chalk these 3 up to that. Acceptable casualties, but the fact that Napster won't work anymore for me is not. So on to trying to conquer that problem.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry to hear it didn't work... The only other thing I could think of is changing the format the files are in? If you know what the format is, then there may be an app that will change it?

I thought about trying to convert it but I have a feeling that just as no video software is able to access the files that conversion tools will not be able to either.

I thought about trying to convert it but I have a feeling that just as no video software is able to access the files that conversion tools will not be able to either.

What format are the files? Try downloading MediaInfo and open the files with that. Take a picture of the Window with the 'Snipping Tool' (All Programs > Accesories > Snipping Tool), and add it to your next post.

Download the K-Lite Codec Pack and try playing the files. During install select '7. Lot of Stuff' instead of '1. Default'.

If you post what file format they're in i'll see what I can find..:)

Back