Windows 7 Sometimes Networks take time to work

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
One thing I've found out about networking is that sometimes they take time to establish themselves. When you try to set up a network, if it won't work at first wait about 15 minutes and try again before you decide it's not working.

Last edited:
Arg net working!!!

Yea I tottally agree, Also I have found (particularly with 7) that windows will often fix problem's with network itself, IF you give it time (and a few re-boots).

What is happening.....

Your PC boots up and begins looking for a Master Browser. When it can't find one, it declares itself the master browser.
This can take up to or longer than 15 min, regardless of how many reboots. Sometimes though, rebooting can help.

If you have more than one PC on a network,,, then you can have 2+ PC's fighting over or trying to figure out which one is the Master Browser.

I have read that you should disable the XP Master Browser in an XP with Vista and/or 7 environment, but don't quote me on that.

Disable Master Browser in XP:
Right Click My Computer
Then Manage
Then Services

Then in the Right Panel , Right Click on Computer Browser
Click Properties
In the Startup Type select Disabled
Click Stop
Click Apply and OK

This will prevent XP from ever wanting to be the Master Browser and may eliminate some potential issues.
However, it could create some, maybe. I don't know if there would be any side effects. Shouldn't be, but you never know.

When I first started using Eset Smart Security on XP x64 Edition the only way I could use the "View workgroup computers" link in "My Network Places" was to disable the Master Browser service. ESS was a brand new beta software at the time and it took a while to get the bugs out. They finally fixed it.

Now it's awesome and I swear by it.

Thanks for that explanation Tepid. :)

Last edited:
To add to this, all networks have to build a table of computer names/addresses and this table is promulgated to all computers. This is why there is a delay before all comps show up. Sometimes we forget to wait and think it isn't working!

I usually disable the Computer Browser service on subordinate machines. Try to have the Master Browser on the newest/latest OS like Tepid says.

Do you think it's necasairy to do this if boath computer's are running windows 7 ? if so can you show me how? (I tried following windows xp instructions but it's differrent on 7,

By the way, moast of my networking problems are solved by removing one (lower port is allways the faulty one*edit*) of the ethernet cables (I have duel gigabit lan on my primary pc)

I'm guessing either faulty ethernet port/cable or mayby the vista/nvidea network driver's are not working correctly!!

Last edited:
It depends on how long you leave your computers turned on. If you have 1 that's on most of the time while the other(s) are shut off part of the time it might make your network a little more dependable. If you have 3 or more computers then the one that is the Master browser will have to be on for the others to work at all.

Click: Start
Click: Run
Type in: services.msc
click: OK

In the right pane

Double click: Computer Browser
Under: Startup type - change it to - disabled
Under: Service Status - click: stop
Click: Apply then OK

Do you think it's necasairy to do this if boath computer's are running windows 7 ?
No.

If you have 3 or more computers then the one that is the Master browser will have to be on for the others to work at all.
Maybe. Traditionally, you have a primary system, as long as you boot that one first you should be ok and not have to wait for them all to designate a Master Browser.

However.... if you have 3 PC and boot them all at the same time, If one comes up first and decides it is the master browser before the others, or the previous MB. Then either the previous MB will say "ok, no problem, it's all you now" or "No, I am the MB, f-off." while the other pc wants to argue. This is where you might see problems. That's the layman's explanation kinda.

The only fix is, to have one booted for a short time and logged into the OS
Then boot the others
then try to connect one to the first system and if it works,, try the other
if it doesn't, then reboot the others one at a time till they do connect to the first one.
Wating for a short time inbetween. (up to 15+ min)
It usually doesn't take that long, it just depends on the network.

That is where a Windows Server or Windows Home Server comes in.

Last edited:

Ok, I would be interested to hear more about windows server, for instance can I run it on OLD hardwair (pentium 2 333hrts)

Will it make running a home network simpler ?(i'm not to hot with the old networking technology)

Also, it seems to me that I've hijacked this thread, should I repost a knew topic specifically for my network problem? or continue here?

Also I have re-installed windows 7 on my primary Pc wich has fixed the problem with my duel gigabit lan port's (one was showing "home network" whilst the other was showing un-identified network!!

Know they both show "home network" as they should!!

Indeed, I think the reason they were messed up was that one off the nework cables was left un-plugged when I installed the driver's and configured the network???

Know everything seems normall but I an still getting seemingly random internet dropout's only on my primary pc (allthough so far they have been less frequent than before I re-installed windows 7)

*edit* I have disabled master browser on the 2 subordinate mashines one running win7 (gaming pc #2)the other win xp (mums pc) and so far no disconnects!!! will repost as soon as I have got some lan games up and running to see if it's fixed proper!!

Last edited:
No.

Maybe. Traditionally, you have a primary system, as long as you boot that one first you should be ok and not have to wait for them all to designate a Master Browser.

However.... if you have 3 PC and boot them all at the same time, If one comes up first and decides it is the master browser before the others, or the previous MB. Then either the previous MB will say "ok, no problem, it's all you now" or "No, I am the MB, f-off." while the other pc wants to argue. This is where you might see problems. That's the layman's explanation kinda.

The only fix is, to have one booted for a short time and logged into the OS
Then boot the others
then try to connect one to the first system and if it works,, try the other
if it doesn't, then reboot the others one at a time till they do connect to the first one.
Wating for a short time inbetween. (up to 15+ min)
It usually doesn't take that long, it just depends on the network.

I'm sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I meant if "Computer Browser" is disabled in 2 computers and the third computer is always the "Master Browser" then the master has to be on in order for the other 2 to find the network. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sorry. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I meant if "Computer Browser" is disabled in 2 computers and the third computer is always the "Master Browser" then the master has to be on in order for the other 2 to find the network. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Technically, yes. However, it doesn't mean there still won't be problems.

Win Home Server requires specific hardware and setup to run, so no, an old system won't work, unless it meets requirements. Windows Server 2008 / 2003 do not, and can typically run on older systems, but you do need to check requirements. However, they are expensive.

Yes, they will make managing and setting up networking between computers much easier.

but they are not a install click and play system. You have to configure them and that is not a straight forward thing.
Home server is easier, and is targeted at Home Networking needs.

Back