Windows 7 Sorting problem

dharmil007

i Used to be a xp user a lot.
Now from about 2-3 months i m using WINDOWS 7.
But there is 1 problem in WINDOWS 7 of which i cant find any solution.
Maybe here somebody can answer this.

i have problem in sorting order.
in xp if there were around 100 folders & if we wanted to GROUP THEM BY NAME, then it would group folders starting with different letters differently.
eg. all folders starting with LETTER A, would be grouped under A, all folders starting with LETTER B, would be grouped under B, & so on.

BUT IN SE7EN, i cant find such option.When i try to group by name ALL FOLDERS STARTING & RANGING FROM A - H groups together & rest together.
i Want SORTING LIKE xp.

HOW DO I DO THAT THING ??
if THATS NOT POSSIBLE THEN MAY BE THERE COULD BE SOME TWEAK or TRICK or SOMETHING.

PlS. HELP ME OUT

Hmm...Don't you just right-click and choose 'sort by name'? or are you saying it won't do this?

I don't think I know what you mean. The group order which, which you have found, is fine. I would imagine Microsoft took out the finer option as it was a waste of space. Simple arranging everything (without the group option) alphabetically does the same thing, without the irritating labels in the squares saying what is perfectly obvious. (A: B: etc)

Last edited:
When you installed 7 did you upgrade or do a fresh install.? Also how fast was the 7 iso burnt at?

No, Windows 7 does not provide that option. It allows grouping by name which only separates numbers from letters.

Maybe i"m way off here, but I don't quite understand the question either.

Have you tried using the various option when you right-click on a folder and choose View> Extra Large Icons, Large Icons, Medium Icons, List, Details, Tiles, and Content.

Now go to Control panel > Folder Options and select the View you want , click the View tab and click the apply to all folders button.

The OP is talking about the arranging in groups based on the alphabet that XP allowed. See the attached picture.

Could it be that the OP is using a shared fielder on another computer?

What OS is the other computer?

Lol. I think he's gone. He asked the question on several other sites with the same response. At least, I think it was him.

The OP is talking about the arranging in groups based on the alphabet that XP allowed. See the attached picture.

Yes, THANKS for the response.
i m Talking about ARRANGING FOLDERS like this.
Which is Not available in WINDOWS 7.
iF available then anyone PlS. tell me ?

Could it be that the OP is using a shared fielder on another computer?
What OS is the other computer?

i aint using another computer.
i m using the same computer & the OS is WINDOWS 7.
THe above type of sorting is not possible in WINDOWS 7.
iF iT iS possible by anyone can he PlS. tell me how is it done ?
in Windows 7 it arranges like this
i Want each letter grouped separately

210h6vo.jpg

This is just a guess, but try opening a Windows Explorer window and check Sort by under the view entry and/or Choose Details and pick your items in the list (although I think these filters are useless.

I have never heard a comment on them and at one point was going to start a poll to see who used them (if they even knew they existed.

I use it all the time to sort my music collection. I right click in the window > sort by > name to sort composer and artist folders alphabetically and by "#" to sort the music files by track number. Under the pre-release versions of 7 the "#" option was always present when I needed it but since I started to use the upgrade (Home Premium) I've had to manually select "#" from the big list and I can't select it for all folders/files. This results in a huge additional workload. I tried Microsoft Chat support and they told me I couldn't do what I want. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have an idea for how to change the sort options other than by hand a million times? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Try using a dash - rather than #

Perhaps I'm not understanding you. A dash isn't a choice. The problem is that, if I understand what the Chat people were saying, the "#" option only appears when there are numbers in the file/folder names, though they didn't make this explicit. When I create a new music folder the "#" option doesn't just appear because the track number is not in the name. Windows reads the track number because when I choose the "#" option manually it sorts the files correctly according to the info I put in. But if it's not in the name it won't present the option. This is an interpretation since they didn't actually tell me this but I can't think of any other explanation. In the Windows 7 pre-releases the first 2 listings in the context menu under "sort by" were name and number. It makes sense, those should be the first 2 by default, I would think. Someone got clever and decided that "#" should drop off when no numbers are in the names. That's a bug, a big mistake. As long as Windows can sort by hidden numbers the option to do so should remain on the list.

Right click your Music folder and select properties. Then the Customize tab. Select Music from the pull down menu and check the box that applies this to all subfolders. The music folder will have the # sort option.

Right click your Music folder and select properties. Then the Customize tab. Select Music from the pull down menu and check the box that applies this to all subfolders. The music folder will have the # sort option.
What would selecting Music do to my folder views? I want all views to be tiles and "#" in the sort by context menu, not just for my big music folder but for all drives all the way up/down. The exception would be My Computer where viewing the drives has no "#" option to choose, but it doesn't matter there. Everywhere else it does matter.

Since my last post Microsoft support called me to follow up on my problem and I told them it hadn't been resolved. It seems they were expecting this and they connected me with higher level support. Somehow we got folder options working correctly, that is it remembered not only the folder views but the contents of the "sort by" context menu. It looks like my problem is solved though whether it stays solved is another thing. Anyway, thanks for helping out.

Last edited:
Back