Windows 8 Sound card 5.1 out issue with Xonar DS

Vaseer

I just installed Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and everything is well, except the sound card. There is no driver for win8 on the manufacturer web page so I installed the win7 one. I get stereo sound in a very basic config from control panel, but the Xonar DS Audio Center does not work, so i can't get 5.1 out. The config in control panel is set to 5.1 but even when testing, there is no sound from any other then the 2 front speakers. Does anyone know of a fix for this or has anyone else experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Yes, as Saltgrass has already said. Using compatibility mode and possibly including the run as administrator check box (setup.exe) will likely get you over the hump.
I personally have an Audio and Video driver both from 2004. Important to note that such drivers may likely include software that will attempt to run at startup which may cause issues and you will need to disable those items using the startup tab in task manager or the registry editor.
Regards
Randy

Attachments

• VidDriver.jpg
    VidDriver.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 952
  • AudioDriver.jpg
    AudioDriver.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 850
I installed in win7 compatibility mode, it's the only way it would install in the first place anyway. While it normally does start up the Xonar DS audio center, I couldn't find it listed in the startup menu or anywhere else for that matter. The audio center isn't working anyway. It can only install in admin mode as it is a driver though....i'm afraid that until asus releases compatible drivers I will have to do with stereo. I tried searching for the ini file or config file it uses to edit manually, but with no avail. I will try to uninstall the driver and install it from device manager by searching manually for the .sys file. I'll try avoiding the setup.exe in the frist place, as in win7 the asus xonar audio center, kind-off skips the windows control panel. The options in control panel are very limited in win7 too. It's the asus audio center that does all the proper config...Will post back if I find a work-around. Thank you both for your help:).

Has anyone figured this out yet? I installed the Asus card and Drivers after installing Windows 8. I have basic sound from the card, But can't open the Asus Control Center app. The Asus Control Center Icon shows up in the Start tiles, and the folders all seem to be installed in the Programs folder, but when clicking on the Icon the timer spins for a couple seconds and nothing at all happens. :confusion:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back