Windows 7 Sound Help

ilovemash

Ok So I have an HP dv8000 Laptop, I installed Windows 7 and everything works EXCEPT for my sound drivers. I have tried uninstalling the High Definition Audio Device from the device manager, but when Windows tries to reinstall it fails. I tried downloading the Conexant Audio Drivers as well as Realtek HD drivers, but none of them work. Whenever I try to install drivers that I have downloaded it either says the installer has stopped working, or that I am already up to date. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it or know how to fix it?

Not sure if it matters but Im using Windows 7 Black Edition 2009 R 1 32-bit (6.1, build 7000)

Ok So I have an HP dv8000 Laptop, I installed Windows 7 and everything works EXCEPT for my sound drivers. I have tried uninstalling the High Definition Audio Device from the device manager, but when Windows tries to reinstall it fails. I tried downloading the Conexant Audio Drivers as well as Realtek HD drivers, but none of them work. Whenever I try to install drivers that I have downloaded it either says the installer has stopped working, or that I am already up to date. Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it or know how to fix it?

Not sure if it matters but Im using Windows 7 Black Edition 2009 R 1 32-bit (6.1, build 7000)

I don't know anything about Windows 7 Black Edition 2009 :)

If you have been trying to install the downloaded VISTA 32 Conexant Audio Drivers from HP download site by just clicking the SPxxxx.exe, try doing the following and see if it makes any difference:

1. Save the downloaded SPxxx.EXE in a named folder (Ex: ConnexantAudio)on the desktop
  2. Using your Unzip tool [Ex:7Zip], unzip and extract SPxxx.EXE to a named subfolder
  3. Note the Entire path to the folder where you have extracted the driver software.
  4. Now go to Device Manager > Sound Audio and game controllers > your Connexant Audio device ( you said it is shown that as High Definition Audio] and Right click >Update Driver software> Browse my computer......> navigate to the previously noted full path to extracted audio driver folder and click open.
  5. Hopefully this will install your sound card driver.
  6. If done, Ok, click Start > Search programs and files and type DXDIAG [ENTER] and Test your sound to make sure it works.
  7. For more testing of sound devices if needed, follow another thread in this Forum on Microphone /Headset setting.
Hope this help. Please post back .

This did not work. The minute I clicked ok once I had found the path I put the file in it said windows has determined the current version of the driver is up to date.

Edit: When I click on setup to try and manually install i get, "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver."
When I looked at my sound drivers properties under general info I saw this message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Last edited:
I've had this issue so many times.

Realtek has these problems with vista as well...just don't update any of the drivers..do a fresh install and don't install any drivers and don't update till Realtek fixes this issue.

This did not work. The minute I clicked ok once I had found the path I put the file in it said windows has determined the current version of the driver is up to date.

Edit: When I click on setup to try and manually install i get, "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find the MEDIA device for this driver."
When I looked at my sound drivers properties under general info I saw this message: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Next try to Uninstall current driver and install the newly downloaded driver in safe mode.

1. First reboot the PC and just toward the end of POST and before Windows starts , keep tapping F8 to get the Advanced Boot Options
  2. Click Safe Mode
  3. Logon to Safe Mode
  4. Open Device Manger
  5. Locate and Right Click your Connexnat audio device> click Uninstall
  6. Restart and when prompted to Install Sound card driver, by Windows , click CANCEL and once again boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Go to Control panel and if there is any Sound card driver seen for Connexant Remove.
  8. This time Use the Downloaded SP.EXE which you have previously saved and install the sound card driver and then reboot.
See if that will fix the problem

With above what we are doing is to remove any drivers Windows 7 installed during setup which did not help with sound use in the computer and one way to remove the offending driver without any interference is Safe mode. Installing drivers in safe mode also helps to avoid interference. If any Antivirus is still active, disable that too before install.
if that too fail, I would suspect your Black Win7 as lacking some files needed for the system.
This of course assumes your sound card still works in other OSes thus ruling out a hardware failure

Last edited:
No Dice......

I am sorry I did not see the omission of the word "Uninstall" in safe Mode in Step 5 in my post which I just noted and edited. I hope you did Uninstall your Connexant device in Device Manager in Safe
Mode depite my omission and then made sure there is no Connexant driver in Control Panel > Programs >Uninstall or change Features and uninstalled if any before installing the downloaded driver in Safe Mode once again as posted.
If that was not successful, I would consider the problem to be due to some missing System files in your copy of Win 7 Beta (you called it "Black" edition or something similar) preventing proper driver install or all currently available VISTA drivers are not good enough. You may try another download of the same or better Win 7 Beta Software to reinstall and see or wait for the Windows 7 RC which seems to be, from many of the reports I read, in the final stage of its much anticipated "birth" !

Well the thing is in Device Manager under Sound, video and game controllers, it does not say Conexant.
It says High Definition Audio Device.

I know what you are going through. Like I said earlier..

I went through the same thing..

Do a fresh install make sure you format the drive in which Windows is on and make sure you don't install any of the drivers let windows do it.

Also don't try to dual boot it won't work..Realtek is having issues and they are working on it..

Back