Windows 7 Sound Issues

Henry Hobbs

Today I was using my laptop like any other day. I got bored and launched The Sims. It crashed. I couldn't resolve the issue, so i gave up. I decided to play Gmod instead. I got an error. On a forum, it said restarting steam would solve the issue. I exited steam, and it would not reopen. In fact, almost none of my programs would open. I then noticed the sound wasn't working on Google Chrome. When I went to turn it up, it was already at 100%. I investigated by launching minecraft (which I have never had a problem with) and it crashed. When I looked at the console window, It crashed as soon as it tried to launch "SoundSystem". I can only assume somehow my sound drivers or something have gone screwy and I have no idea how to fix it. I tried restarting. Please help! :frown:

Hi Henry,

have you tried system restore? This Microsoft help page shows you how:

System Restore

Ever wish you could turn back the clock after a bad crash? With Windows, you can.
Sometimes installing a program or driver can make Windows run slowly or unpredictably. System Restore can return your PC's system files and programs to a time when everything was working fine, potentially preventing hours of troubleshooting headaches. It won't affect your documents, pictures, or other data.
In Windows 7, you can create more system restore points and see exactly what files will be removed or added when your PC is restored. For more information, see Create a restore point.
For more protection, use System Restore with Backup and Restore, which is designed to help safeguard email, pictures, documents, and other personal files.

To use System Restore

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

• Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Link Removed due to 404 Error. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Link Removed due to 404 Error If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.
    For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

Reference:

System Restore - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows

Back