Sound Not Switching Between Headphones and Speakers Options

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by hannaxbear, Jun 25, 2011.

1. hannaxbear

hannaxbear New Member

Originally, my speakers were not playing any sound, but when I plugged in my headphones, I could hear it. I tried going to Control Panel > Sounds and then chose my speakers to be the "Default device." Now, my speakers work, but when I plug in my headphones, the sound still plays through the speakers and not through the headphones. So basically, I think the problem is that the computer cannot switch between the two without me setting one to be the permanent default one.

I have an HP Pavilion dv2911us.

Another interesting point to note is that the Quickplay strip doesn't seem to be working normally. When I press the mute button, it mutes the sound, but it doesn't turn red. This also happens when I try to adjust the volume. The volume changes, but the thing that pops up to show the current volume doesn't change. I don't really care too much that these don't seem to work 100% correctly, but maybe it may be helpful to know in order to figure out what's wrong.

I greatly appreciate any help that is offered.

2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

3. hannaxbear

hannaxbear New Member

Thank you so much! That worked!

Just a note to anyone else who tries this solution: I have Windows 7, but since HP doesn't have any Windows 7 drivers for my laptop model, I just installed the Windows Vista driver. Even though it didn't seem to install properly, I restarted the computer and it worked!

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member

Glad to here you got it working. As a general rule of thumb, if there are no 7 drivers then usually the Vista drivers will do the job as you have found out.