Windows 7 Sound Problem

Deckky

Honorable Member
Can anybody advise please on a sound problem that I've lived with for years and never found a solution to, even though I listen to music a lot. The problem only occurs when listening on headphones, the speakers are ok. I tend to leave the headphones plugged in to avoid disturbance but there's never any sound through them when I first boot up, even though the volume is up and I can see that there's output on the volume control. If I unplug them I get a Windows message confirming that they've been unplugged and also when I plug them back in so the system must be recognising that they're connected. Then if I spend about 5 or 10 minutes repeatedly unplugging them and plugging them in again they will eventually work and the sound will suddenly come through ok. It looks like it's a bad connection on the socket but when they start working they stay working and there's no noise or break up if I move the plug around in the socket, the connection seems very solid. They stay working that is until I turn the PC off and then have to go through the process again when I boot up next time, even though I never touch the connection after it's been working perfectly for some time previously.

System is running Windows 7 32bit with 4GB RAM, all updates have been installed, mobo is an Asus P6T, all drivers appear to be up to date and working and there are no warnings in Device Manager.

Many thanks.

The first thing is of course, which headphones?
Second, what settings do you have in BIOS? Check it, and you could try updating BIOS.
Third, do you have SPDIF connected? You could try disconnecting it. SPDIF can contradict with HDMI, leading to problems if you have both connected.

Could you send some screenshots?

Hi Pauli,

Thanks for your response, I should have said that it's the same with any headphones so appears to be on the system somewhere. Not sure what to check in BIOS, I can't see anything relating to sound specifically. How do I tell if I have SPDIF connected? There are no HDMI interfaces on the PC. Do you need screen shots of the BIOS screen or of anything in particular?

Sound devices on Device Manager are AMD High Definition Audio and Realtek High Definition Audio.

Derek

Sorry 'bout the delay. The worst of problems, or most annoying, is when something seemingly works... but stops working, to start working again... etc. I know very well, that statement doesn't help you.

Do you have your headphones connected to front or back? I need to restart, went somewhat the wrong path earlier.

Have you had this problem with the present motherboard since it was purchased new? I'm just mapping, others read this too, and we never knows who get's a light bulb burning.

But, it's possible that the socket is bad, and has been it all the time.

Sorry about my delay. Headphones are connected at the front and the problem has been there as long as I can remember and maybe since it was new. A bad socket was my first thought but then if it was was I would expect to hear the sound break up at least a little bit when I jiggle the plug around but it doesn't. When the sound eventually comes on it stays on continuously and isn't intermittent as would be expected if it was the socket - until the next time it boots up. Also, when I first plug the headphones in I usually get a system message saying that I've plugged the headphones in but no sound. I've used different headphones during the computer's life.

Back