SP1 has removed Aero

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help and Support' started by GillsMan, Jan 1, 2009.

1. GillsMan

GillsMan New Member

Hi, I'm running Vista Ultimate and I've just installed SP1. Upon restart the Aero scheme I was running has disappeared. And it's not in the options when I go to my desktop display properties either.

I've checked the Performance Indicator and I scored 5.9 in both the graphics sections (I'm running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 gfx card) and my base score was 5.3.

I did some Googling and decided to update my driver from the NVidia site - again this hasn't fixed it. So...any ideas?

My CPU is an Intel E6600 (dual core) fwiw.

Thanks for your help! Cheers.

2. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

3. GillsMan

GillsMan New Member

Hi kemical,

Thanks for your help. I checked through the link you gave me, but there was nothing in there that I could do: I've already updated my drivers, and refreshed my performance score, so I'm really stuck.

I didn't understand your second set of instructions I'm afraid; could you please tell me what you mean about running a command line for the rundll stuff. Do you mean open the cmd box, and typing in what you had written exactly? Because I tried that and nothing happened. Thanks.

4. lorenkjr1

lorenkjr1 Extraordinary Member

Just on the offhand is dwm running? I have dwm stop on me a few times. I have a program called Tweakvista that I use to get dwm to start again. But, I do not know what the command line is to start it again.

5. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

6. superbill

superbill New Member

Hi GillsMan

I found that when installing SP1 in Ultimate that Aero had been turned off.
    However I just went Control Panel>personalization>Windows Colour & Appearance>click link "open classic appearance prop....">When "appearance settings" comes up, ensure you have "vista aero" selected in colour scheme. If not select and click apply.

7. lorenkjr1

lorenkjr1 Extraordinary Member

Glad you got it running again. Every once in a while a Vista problem is easy to fix.