Windows 7 SP1 Nightmare!

whiwo

This is the final version??? Seriously??? Cleaned up my registry and it installed just fine. A handful of programs were not responding as they should, so just had to reinstall them; no problem. Everything was working fine for about a day and now, everything freezes. Can't get my work done. Sorry, rolling it back if in fact I don't have to do a clean install all together. Thankfully, I haven't put this on my laptop yet. :(

What you indicate happened should not have.

What did you use to clean up your registry and why did you decide to do that? Were you having any problems prior to the SP1 install?

There are still discussions as to whether this version should be installed..

I use Registry Mechanic, which has never given me problems. However, after a couple of days and reinstalling several programs, everything appears to have tempered down. Photoshop and a couple of others don't respond as well as they had, but nothing major. Seems to be a memory thing where they can't remember the settings I designate.

Still not thoroughly happy, but at least I'm getting some work done. Will do a clean install this weekend when I have some time.

I use Registry Mechanic, which has never given me problems. However, after a couple of days and reinstalling several programs, everything appears to have tempered down. Photoshop and a couple of others don't respond as well as they had, but nothing major. Seems to be a memory thing where they can't remember the settings I designate.

Still not thoroughly happy, but at least I'm getting some work done. Will do a clean install this weekend when I have some time.
I've had problems with Registry Mechanic before. I lost my links to several of my System Tools. Defrag, System Restore, and some of my administrative tools were gone. There was a bunch of others too. That was on XP Pro x64 Edition several years ago though. Maybe it isn't too bad but I'll never use it again. I took the suggestion of numerous experts in this forum and now use CCleaner.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

It seems to be a good one to me. A lot of experts say you shouldn't clean your registry. Others swear by it. I've cleaned mine only once in the year that I've had my current system and if I do it again it won't be for a very long time.

Last edited:
I use CC cleaner frequently, it is very safe.It also keeps a back of any registry items you remove. I usually cull those out after 45 days.

I use registry mechanic also and it seems to work well, although there is always a chance of something being removed that should not be. But if your system ran normally for a day, perhaps something else, like data being corrupted is causing the problem.

If you check the hard drive do you show any errors? Run a memory test?

Back