Windows Vista SP2 Beta

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has officially released the Vista SP2 Beta for Technet subscribers. The major changes in SP2 are provided here. The date when SP2 will be released to the general public is still unknown.

According to this site here:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 released tomorrow | News | Custom PC
SP2 beta will be available tomorrow....

We'll see......

In fact it's true, I just checked the site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/dd262148.aspx and it will be available in the next few days...

Reading through the improvements that SP2 brings I noticed that Dirext X applications will get new capabilities so this could be good news if your into gaming. Also improved compatibiliy is mentioned to what exactly it doesn't say but I think it's just in general..

Boy, am I mad. SP2 will not even install on my machine. I get an element not found error. Great, now what?

The error by the way is 80070490. Appears to have to do with permissions but, they do not exactly say what permissions. Which is a real big help.

Just remember that, if you install SP2 Beta, wether you remove the watermark or not, it will be neccessary to uninstall it again before you can download the final release. At that time it might also expire and screw your installation so get busy with the backups first.
It is no big deal. Mostly it includes all the updates until the present time, plus some small refinements. Keep in mind, also, that some of those past updates had built in code to cripple pirated copies or, alternatively, you may run into the problem encountered already by one of the members. But of course, no one on this site has such a thing.!

No bios yet, and I get the idea I may have to reformat again. Oh well, I have nothing better for today.

@davehc
SP2 beta expires in 2010... And yes it will have to be un-installed when the final version is released but I've had to do that today without any problems. This is because i was running a former version of the service pack.

@lorenkjr
What do you mean by no bios yet? Are you still running the most recent version or did you go back to the previous version?

The only fix for that error according to icrosoft is a reformat, and tada they seem to be right. I am installing service pack 2 now. Let you know later.

Info from MS technet for the not so knowledgeable users:
Prerequisites

If you have a prior version of SP2 installed, it must be un-installed prior to installing Beta
  • Use the Control Panel applet “Programs and Featuresâ€Â￾ and select “View installed updatesâ€Â￾ from the top left of the task pane, under Windows, look for KB948465
You must have a genuine copy of Windows Server 2008 with SP1 or Windows Vista with SP1 installed on the computer prior to installing SP2
  • Windows Server 2008 released with the Service Pack 1 code included
  • SP2 is the first post-release Service Pack for Windows Server 2008
Recommendations

• Windows Server 2008/Windows Vista SP2 Beta is applicable and recommended to individuals, organizations, and technical enthusiasts who are comfortable evaluating pre-release software
  • This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only
  • We do not recommend installing this software on primary, production or mission critical systems
  • We recommend that you have a backup of your data prior to installing any pre-release software
  • If “vLiteâ€Â￾ was used to customize your Windows Vista installation, you may have removed required system components which prevent Service Pack 2 from installing; if you wish to install SP2, a reinstall of SP1 without vLite is recommended
Service Pack Information

• SP2 Beta is pre-release code which will change before the final release of SP2
  • Windows Server 2008 SP2/Windows Vista SP2 Beta is time-limited software that will operate until May 1st, 2010 - Un-install Windows Server 2008 SP2/Windows Vista SP2 Beta before May 1st, 2010
    • After SP2 installation your desktop may display the text “Evaluation Copyâ€Â￾. This does not mean that your system is no longer “Genuineâ€Â￾, only that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited
    • After installing the service pack, the “Evaluation Copyâ€Â￾ text may show up on the 2nd boot
    • After un-installing the services pack, the "Evaluation Copy" text may remain during the first boot, but will disappear after the next reboot
  • Starting any Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Windows Vista SP2 installations will result in Microsoft collecting information about the installation process
Note the last para - Big brother is watching.

Lol.... Thanks for the info'. I just hope Big brother at least knocks on the door before letting itself in!

According to HP no bios old or new is available at this time. Leaving me with only being to use the screensaver and nothing else, cute and dumb also. Interesting added point here. If I take the PCI-E card out and use the built in video the stupid thing works just fine.

It's a Foxconn, Gee good question there good friend. Does that mean I should check Foxconn's site?

Definately! Although you'll need to find out exactly which one it is (as I'm sure your aware)Check out this site:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I will send them an email and see what happens, as they have lot of bios's but, no info as to which might fit my board.

I suggest that you open your pc up and look over the motherboard. You should find the model number written somewhere and once you have that (plus the revision number) you'll be able to find the correct bios. I should imagine Foxconn will tell you the same thing...

Your not going believe this but, the problem is fixed. The culprit was not the bios after all. Rather it was Ntune. Got rid of that and it's fine now. Thanks for all your help and I am real the nearly seven days of suffering is now over. I don't think I could take another day of it. I may try Rivatuner later. But, I think I will leave the machine as is for right now as I am pooped!!!!

Rivatuner 2.20 works just fine. So I just can't overclock the cpu. I can live with that for right now. Wish I had looked at Ntune before this. I could have had a better week than I did.

Back
Top Bottom