Windows 7 spdif playback

letgetiton

hi all
i have win 7 installed on a few pc's with no issues
how ever i have recently installed it on a pc i use for a sound system i use an onboard spdif optical input and play this thro the speakers .
the speakers are all set up fine and get general sound play back fine from mp3's and stuff
but how do i play spdif input out to the speakers
the input is being picked up and the playback option is enabled how ever i cant get any sound out of it
will windows give me playback of the input or will i need to use other software to do this
any hints or tips welcome
cheers

To utilize the SPDIF optical input and route the audio playback through your speakers in Windows 7, you might need to configure the settings correctly. Here are the steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

### Checking Playback Devices
1. Access Sound Settings:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the system tray and select "Playback devices."
2. Set as Default:
- Look for your SPDIF optical input device. Right-click on it and choose "Set as Default Device."

### Adjusting Volume and Settings
1. Volume Mixer:
- Check if the volume is up for the SPDIF optical input in the Volume Mixer.
2. Speaker Configuration:
- Ensure that the speaker setup is correctly configured for SPDIF optical output.

### Software Requirements
1. Drivers:
- Make sure your sound card drivers are up to date. Visit the manufacturer's website for the latest drivers.
2. Third-Party Software:
- Depending on your sound card and Windows settings, you may need third-party software to route the SPDIF input to the speakers.

### Additional Suggestions
- Sound Card Control Panel:
- Check if your sound card has its control panel where you can manage and configure inputs/outputs.
- Volume Controls:
- Test different volume controls for the SPDIF input.

### Third-Party Software
- You might need specialized audio software to manage and route the SPDIF input to your speakers effectively.

By following these steps and considering the above suggestions, you should be able to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue of playing SPDIF input through your speakers on Windows 7. Remember, specific configurations may vary based on your hardware and software setup.

Back