Windows 7 Speaker Layout

seekermeister

Honorable Member
I have a couple of slave speakers from previous speaker sets that I've replaced, with a new Creative T20 Series II set, which I would like to add to make it a 4.0 system. The only way that can be done is to add them to the left (slave) speaker ouput, using RCA Splitters to branch off to the extra speakers. Of course, the tone, balance and volume conttols on the master speaker would not be able to separate the 3 slaves, but I can overcome that by speaker locations. What I'm concerned about is whether 3 speakers on the circuit designed for only 1 might do any harm to the system?

Last edited:
Running speakers in parallel like that lowers the resistance, and could cause issues with the mobo's audio output or the sound card. My solution to a similar situation was to purchase a refurbished 7.1 dig. receiver and use that as my sound system. The sound is better than just about any sound card at any price. I found mine at Newegg, a Sony model, and it sounds much better than I thought it would. Reviewers say that because many of the receiver manuf. use the same board in their systems, the sound quality has improved across the board. So Sony is as good as Denon. I don't know about that, but I can attest that this receiver sounds great. And I have some very unforgiving bookshelf speakers hooked up to it. With a powered sub, it's sonic nirvana!

Thanks, but I don't think that would be a solution for me, because that would mean shelving the speakers that I have, because they are analog. I understand that digital is better, but these speakers sound good enough to me. The only reason that I'm interested in expanding it is because...1. I want to put the extra speaker to work, and 2. I'm not so much after improving the sound quality as I am just getting the multi-directional sound. I don't play them at much volume, so that isn't a factor for me. However, if adding the speakers would place a strain on the sound card, I won't do it.

While the receiver is digital in my case, and thus ready for expansion should I choose, any receiver would work, since RCA jacks are included in most mobo/sound card outputs. The speakers I have connected-in stereo, are two sets of bookshelf speakers, so analog as well.

Of course, it sounds like this would be overkill for you, but if you happen to have a receiver laying around, I'd try it out. Here's my setup: https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1395825_532349306859030_923310731_n.jpg&h=DAQHBxxkZ

I'm also an avid PC gamer, and the sound is as good as my former 5.1 surround system I used for years. Positional audio is more than adequate for me, though I'm not a Battlefield 4 or COD player, so ymmv.

I'm not exactly sure how you use a digital receiver. I'm guess that it connects to the sound card and the speakers connect to it, so that it acts something like an amplifier...yes?

Any receiver will accept the PC's output via RCA plugs or, for digital output, HDMI and, as I have it, SPDIF. The PC is merely another input to the receiver, just like a CD player or other peripheral.

EDIT: Yes, the speakers are attached to the receiver, just as they would for a stand-alone system. It may be that those Logitech speakers won't take much power, or may have to be adapted to plug into the receiver, which might not be optimal if you're not that concerned about sound quality. Or, if you have a flat-panel TN or IPS monitor, then you have the option of using just about any speakers avialable, since you won't have to worry about the magnets interfering with the monitor. That would be a lot better sounding.

Minor point, but the sound card's output jacks are 3.5mm, not RCA. The speakers aren't Logitech, but Creative T20s, which do have RCA connectors. I use adapter cables between the card and the speakers. The screen for the HTPC is a TV, which does have speakers, but I haven't been using them, because the have too tinny of sound for my taste, and require too much volume for my preference. The HTPC is in my bedroom, which is immediately adjacent to my neighbor's bedroom, through very thin walls, so I like to hear at low volume. That is why I choose The T20s, because they produce very good sound quality at most any volume, and I have set the two speakers on either side of the bed, so that they are only ~3ft from my ears. I don't know if the extra pair of speakers are a good idea, even if they don't burden the system. It's just that I would like to be able to hear equally well, regardless of where I am in the room at any given time.

Yes, my suggestions would be overkill for your needs. As for the connection to the receiver, I have mine connected to the Mobo's on-board sound. I could also use the outputs from my graphics card. Either of those have RCA outputs, usually.

EDIT: Anyway, if your needs change, keep the receiver as sound card idea. My gift to you for xmas! hehehe

Thanks, but Christmas doesn't hold too much meaning for me, but I know it does for most. In any case, Merry Christmas.

Back