Specifying which network device a program can/should use

Greetings all,

I am wondering it is possible for me to specify which network device a program should use when executed. Currently, I have a wireless and wired connection on my laptop. 99% of the time, I don't care if it is using the wireless and in fact, I'd prefer it since I often have to move around a lot. However, for that 1% of the time I need to do something securely over a wired connection, I would like to not have to disable the wireless device to force it to use the wired connection.

I know about setting the Advanced Settings in the Network Connections screen, but unfortunately, that sets up the priority for all programs. Is there a way to do this with batch commands? Is it not possible?

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I do not think its possible using Windows 7 built in features but there is a program called ForceBindIP that you could use in conjunction with a batch file to achieve this.

ForceBindIP - Bind any Windows application to a specific interfaceUsage: forcebind ip.address.here C:\Path\to\program\here.exe

That should force all traffic for an app to use a specific bound IP address. So using this program in concert with a DHCP option on your router to always assign a specific IP to your laptops LAN and Wireless connection so you always know what IP to bind to should do the trick.

Thanks. Looks perfect.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.