Windows 7 Speed up remote desktop with a crossover cable?

Antonzzz

Dear experts,

I have a laptop and desktop both running win7, both connected via wifi to the same router which is two floors down.

I would like to access the laptop from desktop via remote desktop. It works fine but is a bit slow.

My question is: Can I connect the laptop and desktop via a crossover cable to speed up the remote desktop connection between the two computers?

I suspect plugging one or both computers directly into the router may help but I would really like to keep the two computers in the same room.

The purpose of connecting remote desktop between the two computers is NOT for sharing the internet connection or even for file sharing; it is simply because the laptop computer has some applications on it that the desktop computer does not.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you

A wired connection is always going to be more desirable. It really doesn't matter if you have a crossover cable between the two computers or use a wired connection to the router though, either one would be faster/more reliable than wifi.

cross over is quick however the files will only transffer as fast as the card.. id say that is a good option to be fair . i wouldnt do a remote desktop connection as you can create a network to share and transfer the files quicker

cross over is quick however the files will only transffer as fast as the card.. id say that is a good option to be fair . i wouldnt do a remote desktop connection as you can create a network to share and transfer the files quicker

I'm not sure if you read his post properly he needs to run programs via the remote desktop and said specifically that file sharing wasn't even an issue, he just wanted to see if remote desktop would be faster on a wired connection (crossover or both systems connected to router via cat5) and the answer is yes. Remote desktop will lag considerably less on a wired connection as opposed to a wifi connection. Also keep in mind you can adjust some of the connection settings to make remote desktop smoother, also disabling some of the bells and whistles (fading in and out context menus and that sort of thing) will typically enhance performance of remote desktop as well.

Back
Top Bottom