Windows 7 Spring Clean

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I take the time every 6 months or so to hunt down the dust bunnies in my machine. Not only does this keep everything running as it should (temp wise) it also gives you chance to assess your computer and rectify those little jobs you perhaps put off previously..

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Cleaning time again:

Before:

And after:

Squeaky clean again...Till next time!

Edit: Notice the difference in case layout from the first post. This is to allow for the length of the 5870 which is huge (even bigger than the vanilla version).

The HDD's had to be moved to the front which is actually better for cooling..

Last edited:
As promised here are some shots with covers on and booted up:

Last edited:
Cleaning time again although this time I cracked open the graphics card as well as dismantling the CPU fan. The card was rebuilt using OCZ freeze thermal paste which is excellent by the way. Also notice my custom heatsinks for the VRAM. The card originally came without heatsinks which i thought was a no,no.. So utilizing an old heatsink and a hacksaw I created my own although the bright blue one is actually bought from overclockers and was left over from a project cooling the CPU VRMs.
I then tested by running the GPU benchmark for Crysis @ DX10 64bit and max settings with temps reaching a snug 48c (card idles at 29-28c)

Very good advice I've been doing that for years. This time I'll be doing some extra's as well. First I will be replacing my stock HS&F with a Corsair H-70 Link Removed due to 404 Error second I'll remove and replace the TIM on the north & south bridge of my MB. The ASUS crosshair III is a great board but the TIM they use sucks. I'll post pictures later.

Kemical, I started to buy that case but got the Sumo 5115 instead, I wish I would've.

Wow that cooler looks the business.. Let me know how you get on with temps and such like. I know what you mean about bad TIM. I always, always make it a policy of replacing stock with quality product.
As for the case. I love it! Airflow is second to none and for a midi it's actually huge.. Mind you compared to today's cases it's starting to showing it's age but I'm sure it'll last me a couple of years yet.

Just to add Thermaltake are a decent manufacturer too. A while ago I sprayed the internal bays black to match the outside (plus it looks cool as well). Unfortunately whilst rebuilding I snapped the USB cover and so contacted Thermaltake about purchasing a new one. They said no problem and sent me one free of charge! You just can't buy service like that!

Back