Windows 7 Spybot questons

ibclare

Having recently (been about 6 months) switched from mac to PC, I have culture shock when it comes to spyware and viruses and the like. A friend recommended Spybot when I was having some problems after a download. So it seemed to help - and I did a disk cleanup. My questions are: 1) opinions on using this software, 2) when the window comes up which says "search and destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed," and gives me the choice deny change or allow change, which one means I am letting Spybot fix it. And should I just trust it when I don't understand what it found?

The changes to the registry are from the software that has been downloaded and installed. If you trust that software then allow the change. If your not sure then don't accept it. Also for Anti-Virus I recommend MSE or Avast, both are free and do a good job. The I would use Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware in conjunction with Spybot S&D. Not all software will find everything. For general clean up use Ccleaner, this will clean up all temp files and folders. All these are free and can be found at cnet.com. Here is the link for Ad-Aware.

Ad-Aware Free Internet Security - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

Thank you very much for responding. If I understand this correctly then it's responding to the Windows updates and the Java update I did this morning? Those are the only downloads I've done since Spybot (I don't download much for this very concern). This sounds like overkill as I'd think it'd recognize some software. Anyway, I allowed an active x, value added change, and now I get another, but saying deleted, and I only get one choice. See the attached.

I think I'll take your suggestion and look up the other anti-virus software. If it's "anti-virus" does that imply anti-spyware? Tx again.

Attachments

• spybot actvx.JPG
    spybot actvx.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 494
Spybot is generally not recommended to be used in conjunction with Win 7.

SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes are much better alternatives.
Suggest you also consider SpywareBlaster.
All 3 listed above have free versions should you so require.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer

SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.

As for general / registry cleaners....
Rarely is it necessary to use one of these.

If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you would probably be better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.

Note - IMO - there is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither. Some registry cleaners may not know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This has led to examples of registry cleaners causing loss of functionality and/or system instability.

I believe that that is a product of having installed the Tea Timer addin for Spybot. You might want to consider starting over and removing SpyBot including Tea Timer and then reinstall and uncheck the TeaTimer option this time. You are right it is a bit of overkill and can be annoying. Some people like and want that, and some don't.
Spybot is a good product but as was indicated earlier augmenting it with other products such as MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware can also help as there is no one size fits all when it comes to searching and ridding your computer of malware as different products use different techniques for detection and some will likely find stuff that others do not.
Ah, another MAC convert.... welcome to the darkside.

Spybot is generally not recommended to be used in conjunction with Win 7.

SuperAntiSpyware & Malwarebytes are much better alternatives.
Suggest you also consider SpywareBlaster.
All 3 listed above have free versions should you so require.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware!

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer

SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.

As for general / registry cleaners....
Rarely is it necessary to use one of these.

If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you would probably be better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.

Note - IMO - there is no reliable way for a third party program to know whether any particular key is invalid, redundant or neither. Some registry cleaners may not know for sure whether a key is still being used by Windows or what detrimental effects removing it may have. This has led to examples of registry cleaners causing loss of functionality and/or system instability.

I agree completely. We should make this a mantra. Reg cleaners can work, but in the hands of a novice will reek havoc. Nice post JMH

Yes thanks you all. And I am a novice and don't want to muck around which is why I came by. I mean, now that I'm on the dark side, heh heh.

OK, I will do that. I have already uninstalled Spybot. Tomorrow I'll look into the others listed above. Since several are recommended, anyone have a preference? Thanks, Clare

OK, I will do that. I have already uninstalled Spybot. Tomorrow I'll look into the others listed above. Since several are recommended, anyone have a preference? Thanks, Clare

My recommendation would be SuperAntiSpyware & SypwareBlaster. Both as mentioned earlier are free. Both work in harmony.To the best of my knowledge neither have been involved in BSOD's.
Suggest you read the 'blurb' about both carefully.
Others may suggest something different. Ultimately you may have to make up your own mind.

BTW Which Anti Virus & Firewall are you using?

Last edited:
Hi

I used Spybot for a long time but I don't anymore. It hits performance on your computer pretty hard in my experience.

I use Malwarebytes along with Microsoft Security Essentials.

In addition which is probably over kill I run AVG Antivirus software.

All of these are free.

While most of my friends have gotten viruses and malware several times a year, I haven't had anything in so long I can't remember the last time.

I really recommend Malwarbytes, when my friends computers have gotten infected it is always the first thing I run.
It has always been able to find and remove any virus or malware that I've seen so far.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I use Malwarebytes along with Microsoft Security Essentials.

In addition which is probably over kill I run AVG Antivirus software.

Mike
Mike.... Just a FYI....
It is NOT recommended to use 2 Anti Virus.
Conflict can & often does occur in many different areas.
More doesn't always equate to a good idea....

Last edited:
If you want everything "free" then I'd go:

The built in firewall. A totally different beast from the XP days.
MSE as my Anti-Virus. Does it's job and I've yet to see it involved in causing any blue screen issues (although I use ESET, my choice).

Malwarebytes free version updated and a weekly quick scan. If it finds anything then I'd run a full scan in safe mode.

WinPatrol. Catches and alerts you to all those nasties trying to add themselves to your start up menu and (negligibly) slowing down your PC.

And as someone else has said, Welcome to the Darkside. Although I do swear the sun does shine at least 3 days every year!

You'll also discover that discussing AV software and Windows makes sticking your head in an angry hornets nest seem like an easy option!!

Last edited:
Hi

I know it's not recommended but I've been doing it since MSE came out and haven't had any problems so I continued to do it.

I was running AVG first, and didn't want to stop using it but I wanted to try MSE.
I've found that once in a while one of then catches something the other doesn't.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I know it's not recommended but I've been doing it since MSE came out and haven't had any problems so I continued to do it.

I was running AVG first, and didn't want to stop using it but I wanted to try MSE.
I've found that once in a while one of then catches something the other doesn't.

Mike
Thanks for your explanation.
Yes I know the " odd " people / geeks who indeed run 2 for "testing."
However the generic "wisdom" says - " only use one at a time."
That I agree with & will use / espouse in Forum advice....

Last edited:
Back