Windows 7 Start Menu Search Gone?

sakr232000

Hi sakr232000 and Welcome to The Forum.

Did you re-boot in between the removal / adding?

hi there, yes of course i did reboot.
btw, for clarity, the search box is present in the start menu, but when i type anything , it shows nothing,
for ex. i type "notepad", but it shows nothing, though i can open it manually.??/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this might have something to do with indexing. Maybe someone who understands and uses the search will spot this.

TBH, I know the re-boot because the first thing I do on a fresh install is remove the Windows search and replace it with a.n.other.

Not sure if this might have something to do with indexing. Maybe someone who understands and uses the search will spot this.

TBH, I know the re-boot because the first thing I do on a fresh install is remove the Windows search and replace it with a.n.other.

well, i also deleted the index n rebuilt it again, still the problem persists...
one more thing i wonder if this problem is caused by some 3rd party program, !! Does anyone know any particular programs that might be the source of the problem.?????
thnx anyway

just as its not been mentioned

right click task bar
properties
start menu
customize
use default settings
click ok
reboot

Seems like when I search from the Start Menu, SearchIndexer.exe starts up. You might check Task Manager - Services - WSearch to see if that service is running. I suppose you get the same outcome if you use the Winkey + F?

Sorry if I am repeating something but it looks this thread was actually started somewhere else.

Edit: I can also get to show nothing if I uncheck the "Search programs and Control Panel" option on the start Menu Customize area. It seems the restore default suggestion should have changed this back.

I suppose the fallback position is to do an SFC /scannow in an administrative command prompt.

There is also a Search Troubleshooter you can run as admin if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Back