Windows 7 Start Menu

soni-x

Hi everyone,
I need your help.

I'm a windows 7 user.
I opened a link yesterday to an online clothing store called hottopic.com - Unfortunately the URL instantly attached or pinned itself to my start menu and doesn't let itself get deleted or unpinned. I tried practically everything.

A simple right click on the item will not offer me to unpin or delete. The only thing that shows is 'open'. (see the screen shot attached)
I also tried to look for the URL in Windows Explorer to delete from there: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
But it's not in there.
Any other ideas of how I can get rid of this nasty URL sitting in my start menu.

Thanks
Laura

Before we tackle this from a more complicated perspective, have a look here and see if you can delete it.
Users - yourname - Appdata - Roaming - Microsoft - Windows - Start menu

Hi and thanks for your quick response.
So I checked that path as well and again there was nothing to find.

I also thought that something may have installed itself and so I checked in Programs and Features. But nothing suspicious there either.

Any other ideas?
Thx

I tried to emulate the problem and failed. I even registered on the page. But.
Try this. Open the registry. (Regedit)
Open the edit - Find tab.
Click the square at the bottom (Exact match....)
In the search box, type the exact link, including capitals where appropriate, and click "Find next"
If and when you get a hit, delete the entry and press F3 for continuing the search.

MAKE A BACKUP OF THE REGISTRY, before attempting this, unless you are familiar with editing it. (File - export)

I did some registry changes also,

But it might be able to be done directly from the Start Menu. Right-click and choose properties, and uncheck Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu. Problem is you have to clear them first and that's where I believe editing the registry will work.

If this doesn't work, I'll post the registry hack.

The registry hack disables the checkbox to Store and display recently opened items in the start menu and taskbar.

hottopic.com : I tried the above link and and suffered no ill effect but with all the help you are getting your problems will soon be history :D

Back