Windows 7 Startup BSOD

cadrefighter

Hello, I just recently added a .reg file in an attempt to correct a service that was not starting up (BFE.dll). Upon restarting my computer BSODs on startup. unfortunately, I had no restore points or system images to correct the problem. I was trying to get a service running in order to fix a problem installing my anti-virus, one of the symantex people requested to create a registry file containing this info Link Removed due to 404 Error and then saving the file into a .reg. I ran the reg file and added it and that's what caused the problem. in the repair options I'm able to open regedit via cmd prompt. would I need to replace the existing BFE at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CuurentControl\Services\BFE. using a reg key from a good machine? The error is a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL With STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000058,0x0000000000000002,0000000000000000,0xFFFFF88003D90BD4) then SYMNETS.SYS - Adress FFFFF88003D90BD4 base at FFFFF88003D75000, DateStamp 4e278dd6 how would i be able to retrive the crash dump using the cmd prompt? Your help is greatly appreciated :]

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Interesting issue. Have you tried F8 key during post and selecting "Last known good configuration"?
Are you able to boot into safe mode?
Can you navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and try renaming symnets.sys to symnets.OLD?
the BFE.dll (base filtering engine) and its' associated registry key will likely be common across most if not all versions of Windows 7 but may be unique to the specific architecture (32 or 64 bits) so obtaining both from a known good machine might be a good idea as long as it is the same as yours.
Keep us posted as to how you are progressing.
Regards
Randy

Hello, earlier I managed to get around the issue with the Startup with last known good configuration. At first it wouldn't even show those options for safemode, then it finally showed up. Thank you though! had I not fiddled around a little, your advice would solved the issue =] I'll be sure to set restore points and backup my registry in case I do something foolish again.

Appreciate your help, Merry Xmas!

Great to hear that you managed to resolve your issue. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Yes it's generally a good idea to create a manual restore point before fiddling too much with the registry. Backup images are also very helpful.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Back