Windows 7 Startup repair fails, black screen, safe mode - classpnp.sys

tsolron

I've had windows 7 installed for around 2-3 weeks now and it's worked fine. I originally had Vista 32-bit, but I did a clean install of 7 with 64-bit (my laptop is compatible with it).

In the past week it's froze up a bunch (programs are unresponsive, then when trying to ctrl, alt, del -> task manager to exit, the task manager will occasionally freeze sometimes having to manually turn off).

Now today, when booting it up after manually turning it off, it wont start.

I've tried booting using the 'startup repair', but it wont work (I don't think it is at least). It will load the files required to run it, and a loading bar appears next, then the screen goes black (no mouse) and it just stays there.

When starting it normally, it will get to the 'Starting Windows' logo, and then freeze for a minute or so, then the screen goes black (no mouse or anything) and then after another minute or two it restarts (in bios it's set to auto-restart when the boot fails).

I tried booting in safe mode, and it loaded the drivers until it got to classpnp.sys, then it stopped. After around ????? minutes it flashes a BSoD, but it appears for less than a second and I can't read it at all. The screen goes black, then restarts.

Windows 7 has worked fine until now, and I know that it's not from updating a driver because I did all of that right when I installed, and I haven't done any updates in the last few boots.

More info:
Laptop type: Dell XPS M1530
--I upgraded the HD to 500GB, the wireless to an intel 4965AGN, and added bluetooth.

Version of Windows 7: I think I saw it say 76## sometime, with the # being some number I don't remember.

If you need anymore info, let me know and I'll post it. I know I could use a linux disk to recover the data in the event of having to do a clean REinstall, but that would take hours to do, and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

~Tsolron

I see you say you've tried booting with 'start up repair' does that mean you've tried to boot from the 7 disk? Did you change the boot order via the bios to CD/DVD first, HDD second?

Bluetooth has come up several times, can you turn it off in the bios or disable in the Device Manager in Safe Mode?

When booting with the startup repair, that's the built in one. I wont have access to the CD until tomorrow (it's at my dad's house).

I disabled all of the wireless things in the bios, but it's still the same.

As I said, I can't get into safe mode. When it loads the drivers it stops at:
Loaded C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS

I'll see if I can use a video camera or something to get the BSoD. I'd guess that it's about 1/4 of a second that it will show up.

Also I noticed that I forgot to say that the BSoD shows up when trying to start normally also.

Could it be possible that your hard drive has some bad sectors? Something similar has happened to me and my whole system went kaput because of it

Back