Windows 7 Startup repair failure

paul23

Hi there,

As a first note (I want to stress this), this problem didn't happen "once", but this is the 8-10th time it happened.

I own a pretty decent HP laptop, "elitebook 8530w" with (apart from the HDD, which is 250 GB) the most high end options.

First my computer seemingly becomes "unresponsive": the task manager doesn't give any real memory & cpu usage yet all programs are "not responding" every other second.

Then I tried to close the system, however during closing it BSOD. And at reports of a corrupt DLL: however each time it seems to be a different.

Then if I try to start up it simply "blacks out" after showing the windows flag for a long time (so before logging in).

Starting startup repair reports back that start up repair can't fix the problem. Restoring to a restore point from weeks ago (not even the last, the first after having a fresh install of windows) won't work either. It will then start up once, but again be unresponsive and BSOD.
Even installing it NEXT to the old windows installation will cause the same problem.

Only thing that works is formatting the HDD, and then reinstalling windows.

Problem with that is: this happens last months around bi-weekly on average: and wasting a full day on reinstalling everything isn't fun at all!

I went to the shop where I bought my laptop, however the last 2 times I went they took my laptop, and a week later returned with the message: "we reinstalled windows and couldn't find any other problem". (I don't want to do this for such a message, need to drive a 4 hours before being there).

Anyone got ANY idea at all what the problem is, or can give me ANY advice on what to do to prevent this from happening in the future?

The startup repair gives this information about the problem:
Problem signature:

problem event name: StartupRepair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.7.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200801
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 2
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I would have to say if you have completely reinstalled windows several times and you still have problems, something in your system might be corrupting the install. Have these re-installs been clean re-installs where the drive was wiped first?

You may want to try doing a repair install where you do an upgrade install from within the Win 7 install using the Install DVD.

If you check the event viewer, do you see any errors or warnings that seem to be consistent?

Is your system still in some type of warranty? If it is, I would ask for a new hard drive to start. Make sure you have sufficient cooling around the unit.

Hey. Post the crash dumps and we can have a look.

C:\Windows\Minidump

Copy/paste the files in there to any other folder. Then zip them. Attach the zip to a post using the paperclip above where you type, in advanced mode reply.

Back