Windows 10 Startup/Unknown

DigDugFighter

When I boot into windows I have a window show up in the taskbar named setup and it changes to downloader. No window pops up on the screen and it goes away. How can I find out what it is? Thanks!

You could try checking the Task Manager. Simply right click on the Task bar and choose from the list. This will allow you to see what apps are running.

I tried that but it goes away too fast. I don't see anything it could be in the task manager running.

please post your windows start up tab
Screenshot (24).png

Or a third offer.

Run this in a command prompt (with admin privilege). Restart your computer and see what entries are in the event logs.

for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1"

Event viewer shows SetupARservice error. I tried disabling that service. Still happening. :(
Only other error in event viewer is service control manager. The downloader/setup seems to be harmless. I use Breakaway audio enhancer and since SetupARservice is realtek something, I thought it might be that. I can't figure it out, it bugs me. I have disabled every startup thing except AVAST trying to get rid of it, it's always there.

Should I be looking only for errors in the event viewer? I have looked at everything there, I don't see what else it could be. Hope it is enough information to give you guys some ideas. Really shouldn't be this difficult. :(

Probably, but I can't get it to go away when disabling Breakaway completely. Guess I will just uninstall things until it goes away just to see what it is.

So, AVAST started detecting this thing as a threat when I booted my computer. Something in the temp folder. I looked in task scheduler and had two things. Skypeautoupdater and Skypeupdate. I don't even have Skype or ever had Skype on my computer, lol. I disabled them and all is well now. I don't know where it came from.

You can and should delete anything in the temp folder every now and then... one of the very few places Windows doesn't scan and so a popular place for spam/ malware to infect.

Back
Top Bottom