Windows 7 Steam is releasing Alien Swarm for free

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Steam is releasing Alien Swarm for free
By Hilbert Hagedoorn, July 19, 2010 - 8:31 PM

Today Steam is releasing Alien Swarm, which will cost you nothing.

Two years ago, Valve hired a group of modders behind the popular Unreal Tournament 2004 co-op mod called Alien Swarm as ggmania reports. The team has since contributed to popular games such as the Left 4 Dead Series and Portal 2, but on the side, they were hard at work on a Source version of Alien Swarm, and the fruits of their labor will be released on Monday – for free. In addition to providing the game free of charge, Valve will release its complete code base, including updates to the Source engine SDK and full Steamworks integration to provide \'more insight and examples\' for aspiring modders and small-time developers.

Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet\'s surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

* Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
* Complete game code and mod tools
* Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
* Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
* 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
* Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
* 64 achievements
* Tile-based map generation tool
* Powered by Source and Steam

If anyone fancies getting a team together then post in this thread..

Last edited by a moderator:
Valve set to release free Alien Swarm game on Steam today

Valve will be releasing Alien Swarm for free today on Steam. Alien Swarm was originally created as a mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 by Black Cat. The version Valve is releasing today has been completely re-written as a stand alone game and according to the official announcement, "In addition to the game, Valve will also release the complete code base for Alien Swarm. This includes updates to the Source engine SDK and full Steamworks integration. If you’ve ever thought about developing a mod on the Source engine with Steamworks, this release provides more insight and examples for using Steamworks in game production."

The game uses Valve's Source engine and will include full steam support. The game is a co-op, top-down shooter with one primary focus, blowing up aliens. In the game you can play as one of eight different characters in one of four different classes using up to 40 different types of weapons and equipment. Players will gain experience and level up as they play unlocking different items along the way.

The team that created the original Alien Swarm mod was hired by Valve back in 2008. Since being hired, they have helped in the development of the Left 4 Dead series, Portal 2 and, in their spare time, they continued development of Alien Swarm.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/valve-set-to-release-free-alien-swarm-game-on-steam-today

Re: Valve set to release free Alien Swarm game on Steam today

That look's like fun! I'm downloading it now. I had planned on mowing the lawn saturday but this would be more interesting.

After your reminder I downloaded the game this morning. Not a bad game especially as it's free. I also like the offline mode so you can get used to the movement and key strokes ect..
We will have to get together on this one and play a few games after a bit more practice of course ;)

Somehow missed this thread, thanks to Jimbo for pointing it out.

If anyone wishes to participate with us in Alien Swarm for free, once you have it on your Steam account join Alien Swarm - Windows 7 Forums

This could be a fun time. :)

Sounds cool. For some reason this game and COD MW2 over heats my CPU with the stock HS&F,I'm getting a Corsair H50 this weekend to fix the problem, then let me at them little buggers :)

please help me,ho to download alien swarm........just anewbie...tnx
That look's like fun! I'm downloading it now. I had planned on mowing the lawn saturday but this would be more interesting.

please help me,ho to download alien swarm........just anewbie...tnx

Go to Welcome to Steam and click on the green "install Steam" button at the top of the page then create an account and do a search for Alien Swarm, download and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom