Strange font choice in Microsoft Word Viewer

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Exp HP, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Exp HP

Exp HP New Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Two of my teachers gave me .doc files for something or another, and both of these files have a strange problem I've never seen before:

Microsoft Word Viewer has apparently decided that it doesn't know what to do with certain text elements, and so it decides to display them in the MaplePi font.

This is a greek letter font that comes with Maple, a program for creating math documents. As you might imagine, I do not particularly enjoy seeing a document in all greek text.

I have no idea what font it's supposed to be using. I don't know anything about what the document is supposed to be. All I know is that if I open the document in, it appears in Arial Rounded MT Bold.

What could possibly be going on? Why is Microsoft Word Viewer trying to display a document in a font like MaplePi (which isn't even a built-in font!)?

Oh, and yes I've checked my region settings. No, my computer does not think I live in ancient Greece.

I have Microsoft Office Word Viewer (11.8328.8329) SP3.
  2. zvit

zvit Honorable Member

Nov 3, 2009

Open it with Microsoft Word.
    Choose "Save As" and choose the file type "Plain Text(.txt)"
    When you click OK, WORD will open a dialog box to encode it. Choose "Other Encoding" and pick your encode. For Hebrew for example it would be Unicode (UTF-8).
    Then just change the .txt to .doc and try again.

Make a copy of the original before you play around with it for it might become unreadable.