Windows 7 Strange Problem

shawneth

Hey sorry for the vague title but i couldn't think of a good way to explain.

First of all, I am pissed that microsoft is now charging people to send emails to get technical support. My issue couldn't be resolved in their solution centre so they wanted to charge me to ask a question? complete BS and frustrateting...

So I saved some files off the internet using the save target as function (movies, pictures, etc) but am unable to view or open the files that I save. I go to the folder I save them too and their is nothing their. I know that they are actually in the folder because when I download other files using this method, it shows all the ones ive downloaded in the folder in the past except they all have a little padlock symbol on the bottom of them.

I made sure that hidden files are viewable and have looked around the best I can but can't figure out how to access them. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Do you need special software to open the files?

Are they related to Digital Rights Management?

Did you do a search for the files, maybe they are in the IE Temporary area and never got transferred to you target location.

Did you also make sure you had "unhidden" files with knowm extensions?
TRy the Libraries - Documents folder also. That is the Windows 7 default for saved web pages.

Do you need special software to open the files?

Are they related to Digital Rights Management?

Did you do a search for the files, maybe they are in the IE Temporary area and never got transferred to you target location.

They play in windows media player. Their is no special rights to them because I have a bunch a previously downloaded ones from my previous windows xp computer. I didn't think of trying the search function, i'll give that a shot.

Edit: It also seems anything I download from any wesbiste using "save target as" has this problem.

Last edited:
Update

Well I have discovered that I don't have permission to open anything I download using save target as... (confusing because it now renders that function useless)

Since I could only see the invisible files when I was selecting which folder location to download to, I simply downloaded something and right clicked on one of the files with the padlock symbol on it. I clicked properties to look for differences between the files i couldn't open and ones that I could.

I found that the security tab had different permissions then the that of a file I can open. Files that I could open had a permission designated to Users (myname\users) while ones that I couldn't open we're lacking this permission. When I try to edit the permissions for that file, a completly confusing window pops up that doesnt have convenient 'add' permissions button anywhere....

soo, now I am hoping that someone can tell me how to add in the desired permissions or, even better, tell me how to change my settings so that save target as doesnt screw with my stuff.

I get the feelin that I need a professional to answer this but it seems really stupid to have to pay for a response.

Back