Strange Slow Response to Refreshing

ruggb

Honorable Member
If I change something in WE nothing happens until I hit F5. Or maybe wait 2-3 minutes.
I installed a program and clkd to open - nothing happened so I assumed it didn't work in W7 and removed it. A few min after that it opened as many times as I had previously clkd it.
The same thing happens when I insert or remove a USB stick or a disk in the dvd drive. With WE open it is not acknowledged for many minutes even if I close and reopen WE.
Clking on programs has no delay - they open immediately.
It is a new HP compact size DT.

What might cause this?????????????
I have tried a number of things including offing the AV software (Vipre).

thx

zvit

Honorable Member
First, I always recommend a system restore to a date before the problem started occurring. Then continue.

Try turning off Windows Search and indexing:
Turn Off Windows Search

Also, read here for optimizing Windows 7 for better performance:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

A throw in the dark:
Someone posted a specific solution for him:

I found that in Task Manager the app that was pulling down Explorer was "ssvagent.exe" a bit of Java code from Sun. I located the exe file and renamed it "ssvagent.exe.old" and all is now well.

Last edited:

ruggb

Honorable Member
it is a client with a new HP. About all that she uses if IE, email, Word, Quicken and something like Picasa
I have no idea if there are any restore points, and I can't imagine that she did something to cause this.

zvit

Honorable Member
By default, Windows creates restore points systematically, and so does various software when installed so you should have restore points. Read here how to restore your system:How to use Windows 7 System Restore | Windows 7 News

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.