Windows 7 Strange Sound Driver Problem (AC'97)

Atal

As is usual with sound problem, I am getting no sound. I have tried many different drivers, including multiple vista 64 bit Realtek AC'97 drivers to Conexant drivers that you have to manually install, some of these not recognizing the hardware, others reporting that is is perfectly fine. In fact, Windows 7 searches for and finds a Realtek AC'97 driver itself, which comes with a soundman panel and there are no reported problems in the device manager or anywhere. I simply do not hear any sound, and I am confident that my speakers work, because they are fine on my other computer, not only that, but when I uninstall the realtek sound drivers I get a little blip noise from them.

I do know that the motherboard I am using is quite old and bog standard, being an elitegroup RS482-M, but I have no reason to believe that the onboard audio doesn't work, It worked fine under XP. On XP any old realtek AC'97 driver seemed to work, so I don't know why this isn't true for windows 7. Perhaps there is something simple I am overlooking, but nothing is on mute or anything that silly xD

Anyway, the device seems to be called:

Device: IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
OEM: Elitegroup Computer Sys
Manufacturer: UNKNOWN

Although when I search for IXP SB400 on google I don't get many results, except ones from years ago.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I am grateful for any help.

Back