Windows 7 Stuck at "Installing update 2 of 10"

dragons33

I am running the RC and when i restarted my comp this morrning it started to update. Everything was going fine. Update 2 started to download and it wasnt going to 3. I figured "Ok, they just released the final version. Maybe its a big update. I will go about my day and come back to my newly updated windows 7 RC." LIttle did I know that leave at 11am and returning at 6pm and being on the phone with microsoft trying to figure this out only to hear them say they have no support for the rc and i would need my product key that is in the mail AND on my STUCK IN UPDATES computer to see if i quallify for support, it is still on update 2 of 10...

What do I do oh wise gurus of windows 7?

also...i got the student 64bit home premium. How will i go about going back to my vista 32bit to install my 7 64 bit?

thanks

Boot to command prompt from the install disk and backup your data ... Then clean install 7 64 bit and put in your key.

Can you go back to windows update and tell it not to install the second update? Do you know what that update is?

The RC (7100) is a qualifying OS for an upgrade.

It won't let me do anything and I don't want to reboot if it can mess it up. I would have to unplug it and it says not to unplug or turn off the machine. I have no mouse pointer or anything.

Do you have a backup image of the install?

If the computer is locked up and hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL does not bring up the task manager, I really don't see you have many choices. Reset and reboot, to safe mode if you so choose. I had to do that several times when I was having the Zone Alarm/Microsoft Security Essentials lockups and it came back normally every time.

Don't unplug, hit the reset button. Or hold the power button until it shuts down..

Last edited:
even tho its the upgrade and not full?
Yes.... go to my last blog and get the full version that matches your key direct from microsoft.. then dele ei.cfg before you burn the disk... select the version that matches your key and you can use your upgrade key.

Back
Top Bottom