Windows 7 Subwoofer only playing in speaker configuration

Eien

My problem is that I have 2.1 sound system and external subwoofer (car audio) hooked up to my computer, but subwoofer only plays when I test it on Windows speaker configuration. In Windows XP this setup worked fine, but in Win7 (build 7100, 32bit) it won't work.
I'd think that because sound comes out on configuration, driver problems can be ruled out? I've tried iTunes, WMP, VLC, MPC... you name it, but none of them plays the subwoofer. I have reinstalled (integrated) soundcard drivers few times, but still nothing. I have Realtek AC'97, connected via 3.5mm jacks.

I'd be grateful if someone would have any ideas how to make this work, since my Google-Fu seems to be too weak.

I'm running 7100 with an Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system and mines the opposite. The subwoofer works for movies and music but not on the Windows test.

Perhaps it's the speaker setup?

In XP I had to set it to 5.1 audio to get subwoofer to play, but now it makes no difference if I have 5.1 or 7.1 audio. Speaker configuration plays sub right everytime, but none of the playback software.

check the drivers..i too hv creative sb5.1. but since thr are no drivers for win 7, i am nt able to get the real 5.1. feeble sound in woofer and no sound in center speaker. sheer driver problem.

check the drivers..i too hv creative sb5.1. but since thr are no drivers for win 7, i am nt able to get the real 5.1. feeble sound in woofer and no sound in center speaker. sheer driver problem.

I've tried with Win7's audio drivers (from Win Update) as well as Vista drivers from manufacturers site. And as I said I don't have 5.1 system, mut 2.1 and extrenal subwoofer. I just got it all work in XP by setting sound options to 5.1 or 7.1.
But why the hell it can be driver problem if everything works fine in audio configuration?

Back