Windows 7 Sudden BSOD?

rayvis

I've been using Windows 7 for a couple weeks now at least with no problems at all, until now. All of a sudden, I get the BSOD on startup. It gets to the Progress bar or whatever you wanna call it screen in startup, then cuts to a BSOD and restarts. When I first restarted it, it wanted to run chkdsk and I let it, then it restart when it was done and that's when it started happening.

I have tried booting into safe mode, but that gives me the BSOD too. I also tried putting in my Win 7 DVD thinking maybe I could repair from it, but I got BSOD after it loaded the setup files.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it or does anyone know how to fix it? I don't wanna have to format and reinstall as I have alot of stuff I would need to keep on the hard drive that I can't access.

Rayvis, it helps to include more information to troubleshoot this. BSODs can happen for a number of reasons. When you look at the blue screen what is the STOP number that is indicated? Also what is the file affected if it provides that informatin? That information is important for troubleshooting the problem.

It sounds like either a hardware or a software problem.

Hardware if something in your system just went south. (can you boot normally into your main OS?)
Software if this happened just after you installed something.

What did you install last? And was it just before the boot that BSOD'd?

by chance have you plugged in any new usb devices...I had that prob in Xp once, and it turned out to be my external hard drive...just a thought....

I wouldn't imagine it to be hardware based as I am logged into my Mac OSX partition. I am however not running on a Mac, just got it to run on my Windows Based laptop. I'll boot back into Windows to get the BSOD message I am getting, write it down, then boot back into Mac to post it word for word. I will edit this post with the results.

***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x000c22D2, 0x00000016, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

EDIT: Added Stop Code

Last edited:
It sounds like either a hardware or a software problem.
that one really made me laugh :D

anyways, back to topic: my first guess would be that you having mac os x installed could be a main source of error (though mac os x rocks so much!). next thing if you get a BSOD again it would be nice if you could write down the source it gives you (a .sys-file it prints somewhere ein the middle of the screen in most cases) and the error code it gives you (second line I think, written all uppercase some stuff like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).
that should give information what causes the error and why.

The weird thing about the BSOD I was getting is that instead of the usual one, this one had nothing non-generic other than the stop code I posted. Everything else was to the effect of, "There was a problem and Windows was shut down" blah blah blah.

I did a google search on stop code 0x00000024 and found a post on another forum about it, although his experience seemed a bit different than mine. A reply mentioned getting into comman prompt and doing chkdsk /r /f.

I was finally able to boot my recovery partition that I just happen to have never deleted, which was a good thing today since I wasn't able to boot my Win 7 DVD without getting BSOD. So I booted my recovery partition, went to command prompt and entered the chkdsk /r /f. It seemed to solve my problem as I am now replying from Windows 7. Thanks for the replies I did get, and I'll be sure to come back if I have any more trouble. Hell, maybe I'll hang out here even when I'm not having trouble. One more forum to read never hurts =)

I had the exact same blue screen as you and others on this forum have too. Chkdsk did temporarily solve the problem but it still happened again after a while(4 times), and I had to rum chkdsk to temporarily solve the problem each time. You have 4 primary partitions don't you, as this was my problem. This permanent soultion is to get rid of one or change it to an extended partition. You will have to delete a partition, clean installs of W7 don't even fix it. If you have a blank partition, delete it and make an extended in its place, or make a backup of a partition to restore.

I had the exact same blue screen as you and others on this forum have too. Chkdsk did temporarily solve the problem but it still happened again after a while(4 times), and I had to rum chkdsk to temporarily solve the problem each time. You have 4 primary partitions don't you, as this was my problem. This permanent soultion is to get rid of one or change it to an extended partition. You will have to delete a partition, clean installs of W7 don't even fix it. If you have a blank partition, delete it and make an extended in its place, or make a backup of a partition to restore.

This is actually my problem, as the BSOD has come back a time or 2 since I used chkdsk to "fix" it. The difference is that I don't have 4 primary partitions, just 2, well maybe 3. I'd have to check one of them to see if it's Primary or Extended because I can't remember right now. But at any rate, it's less than 4.

Back