Windows 7 Suddenly can't connect to server 2003 R2 standard ...

Gaspode

Suddenly can't connect Windows 7 machines to server 2003 R2 standard ...

Hi ...

OK - Weird one.

I've been running W7 since first beta and using the same server as long (Windows 2k3 R2 upto date patching). I have 3 W7 machines and two XP machines.

About two weekes ago my server rebooted itself in the middle of the night (an update i assume - not sure who turned auto update on).

Now I can't connect to shares or printers on the servers from the W7 machines. I get a security pop up box which I put in the right accounts ( eg xxxservername\administrator and several other account.

None will connect to the server - all still works as normal from XP ?

Any ideas - i've tried everything I can think of

Last edited:
Same

I Have the same problem
I have a win7 that can't connect to the share's
I get the error acces denied.
:(

Any help is appreciated

Re: Same

I have been having the same problem too.

I initially thought it was only a problem accessing Samba shares on my NAS server (FreeNAS) but I then noticed a couple of other access problems.

My Domain has a number of GPOs which redirect User Documents to a Win2003 server. These aren't working either.

When I installed my first Win7 Domain Client I had to do that in order to see my NAS, sure. What happens if you don't is that Win7 will, in essence, shut down the Samba Service on the NAS.....not fun.

However, as I mentioned above, the problem's far bigger.

I have a Win2003 Domain with about 10 servers and 15 PCs. Most of the critical stuff still works without a problem except the accessing of Win2003 & XP shares from Win7 Clients.

I have another strange tidbit to offer. While the Win7 clients can't connect to 2003 or XP shares........

Wait for it............

Wait for it............

Wait for it............

they CAN use shared printers on WinXP.......?!?!? (I just remembered this which only serves to complicate the scenario for me).

Definitely sounds like a problem. You may have to resort to running RSoP (Resultant Set Of Policy) against users and computers in your AD Domain. Not sure how an update would have caused this as I would think that even if it include some updated or new policy settings, that they would have either defaulted to your current setting or "not configured".
How To Install and Use RSoP in Windows Server 2003

Sorry, forgot to mention.... If you are lucky enough to have all the Win7 machine in one OU then you can run RSoP against that OU and maybe save yourself some time.
Run an RSoP query on an organizational unit: Group Policy
And hey TG, I thought that I was your "extremely brilliant colleague", I've only written about NTLMv2 vs. NTLMv1 about fifty times in this forum. Now I'm crushed.

I had this same problem
Turned out that there was an admin account with an old password saved in the Crediential Manager under the User account.

Back
Top Bottom