Windows 7 Suddenly can't increase resolution beyond 1024 X 768

Edward

I've been running the windows 7 RC at a 1280 x 1024 ever since I installed and the OS has worked like a dream. Recently I had a PC crash when missing around with a midi controller and on restart I was faced with a black screen (Not with the mouse and my computer) but the OS was still definitely running. If I used safe mode I could increase my res to the usual without any troubles but running in safe mode just isn't an option. Back to normal windows and if I go above 1024 x 768 i'm back to the black screen and it never reverts after 15 seconds. It just stays black.

Oddly enough on a vista install I can use higher resolutions without any complications. This is really frustrating as i've spoiled myself with the RC and using vista feels a bit. . .well. . .terrible haha. Any ideas on what the hell is causing this?

Oh I've since reformatted, recreated the master boot record, reinstalled and still nothing. I can't increase res in windows 7. Even with the nvidia drivers. Video card is a Geforce 8100 GT.

Just wondering if perhaps, uninstalling the video adapter from device manager, rebooting and then reinstalling the latest drivers, might not be a not so quick, quick fix? Just another thought

I have tried that but to no avail. It wasn't on the freshly formatted and reinstalled OS though. So I suppose I can give it another shot?

I have the 8500 GT, don't know if the GT is important or not but here's a screen shot of the driver version and date, that I'm using and I can max the resolution out at 1600 x 1200

Back
Top Bottom