Windows 7 Suddenly can't install anything.

MSIexec keeps bombing out before installers/MSI packages can even start.

Faulting application name: msiexec.exe, version: 5.0.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49431c33
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7000.0, time stamp: 0x49433e67
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0007f6d6
Faulting process id: 0x440
Faulting application start time: 0x01c979773f3de5a1
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 7d483081-e56a-11dd-840b-001a4dfc34dc

This.. is obviously the opposite of good. I REALLY hope I don't have to reinstall due to this.. Is it possible that either msiexec.exe or ntdll.dll have become corrupted in some way? In which case, should I try and pull them off the DVD (or if it comes down to it, another installation of Win7)?

MSIexec keeps bombing out before installers/MSI packages can even start.

This.. is obviously the opposite of good. I REALLY hope I don't have to reinstall due to this.. Is it possible that either msiexec.exe or ntdll.dll have become corrupted in some way? In which case, should I try and pull them off the DVD (or if it comes down to it, another installation of Win7)?

Same whit me, since yesterday, even Office 2007 couldn't install, Quicktime I got an older version, not MSI.

Suggestions to solve this problem? Already tried the Repair Function of the DVD, and the restore point, and nothing.

I'm considering reinstalling everything again, but not even one week after the installation? lol

I've just been browsing the TechNet forums, and quite a few people have the same problem. Can you go into Windows Update without Explorer crashing? I can't, and they can't seem to either.

The plot thickens!

I've just been browsing the TechNet forums, and quite a few people have the same problem. Can you go into Windows Update without Explorer crashing? I can't, and they can't seem to either.

The plot thickens!

I try that and Explorer Crash, :(

Even System Restore can´t restore anything.

MSI has packed up for me too. Unable to install any new app. It happened after I got media player to catalogue my music collection on my XP media centre. Seems unrelated. The only other problem is the DVD writer doesn't write even tho the Software says is has. Other than that I love Win7 I think it will be a winner.

Got the same issue all of a sudden. Windows Update crashes Windows Explorer. Also got and issue when I try and burn an audio CD with Media Player, it just crashes when it's about to start writing the disk.

Last edited:
I, as well, just started to receive this issue yesterday morning. I remember it happening originally with a Java automatic update that I tried to install, but the Windows Installer came up with an error. Also, the Windows Update feature is crashing like for those above.

This is another odd problem.. I've been running Build 7000 since 1 week before it's "general public" release and haven't had any of these problems though so I'm really thinking it's due to an app/driver some of you have installed or your system is just becoming corrupt for some weird reason.. Although it's happening to a few people, it's still not happening to everyone and I doubt it will happen to everyone.. As stated multiple times people, WINDOWS 7 BETA (BUILD 7000) IS A BETA!! You can't expect every single thing you install on it to work perfectly and to not cause problems at all at some point.. it's gonna happen! ;) In a perfect world yes a BETA would be flawless and everything you install on it would work with no problems at all.. but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.. far from it.. so these kinds of issues are going to happen.. but PLEASE make sure you read all the available information on this forum before posting another repeat thread.. There are way too many posts that are just repeating the same questions/problems.. We need to keep this to a minimum.. Thank you. :)

I think most people understand what they were letting themselves in for by installing a BETA. What I am trying to do is report a fact so that others know that they are not alone in this world, that the problem is not unique to them and that eventually if everyone sends in their feedback that any bugs will eventually get fixed. As far as I am concerned my evaluation of Win7 has finished as I cannot add any new apps. I will look for updates every week and when MSII works again I will carry on with the testing.

OK, let's see what's common. Some usual suspects maybe: Using nVidia 181.20 (Geforce 260), Creative July 2008 Drivers, Intel P35 Chipset with Core2...Using latest drivers from Intel Site incl Intel newest Storage Matrix Driver.... We will start there.....PS, using AVG for now...but it's not that...already checked

Last edited:
I find it odd how everyone's windows 7's are failing at the same time....But I guess thats what you get for installing a beta OS.

(Quick note: I know what I was getting in to with a beta OS, which is why I'm trying to find situations and solutions like this, because I personally want Win7 to be good)

To follow with S11Tech: nVidia 179.23 drivers, X-Fi Xtreme Audio stock driver from win7 disc/install, MSI P6N Diamond motherboard, Core2 Duo E8500 proc, all the latest core drivers (except video card, I think). Using Avast! Antivirus and Comodo Firewall (w/o Defense+). Most recently installed applications would include: MSN Live Messenger, OpenOffice.org 3.0 and AbiWord Word Processor. Probably notably began while installing an automatic Java update.

I figured out that it was caused by the system update from 2:54 am on Jan 16.

Uninstalled it, and everything works fine again.

Last edited:
Do you have any updates that say they are a "critical update"? Naturally your system update won't have been at the same time. Especially if the computer wasn't on.

Uraijit - do you have the KB number of the update you have identified as being the cause of this problem?

Unfortunately, no. I did the restore before getting the KB number. I noticed that I made a typo when I posted that though. The date was 1/16, not 1/15.

If somebody asks me REALLY nicely, I'll undo the system restore, and check it.

If there's an easier way to find out, someone let me know, and I'll do that.

Just had a thought...if Windows Update is now no longer working for so many people, does this mean that Windows 7 will not receive any future updates? Hopefully this is not the case, and all that's broken is the means of manually checking for updates. Can't think of a way of checking this though...

I tried uninstalling update 958830 and 961367. I rebooted after each uninstall, neither fixed the issue. Those were my only windows updates... all the others are office 07 updates

Back