suddenly lost all sound

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Hardware' started by zetski210, Apr 20, 2009.

1. zetski210

zetski210 New Member

Firstly, hello - must say that I'm enjoying Windows 7 so far - cannot wait until it is released!

However, I have an anoying problem. I have no audio all of a sudden.

So I have Windows 7, build 7000 x64.
    Last week, I suddenly lost all audio output, however the system still detects that audio is playing (ie: when you click the speaker icon in the taskbar the green VU meter shows that there is audio)

I'm using an Asus P5E mobo with SPDIF to a Yamaha amp. SPDIF has been working with no issues (well, some but nothing a few codecs can't solve). It was working fine for months until this occured.

I have rebooted (many times)
    I have un-installed and re-installed all my sound drivers
    I have sound working on Ubuntu on the same hardware

Can anyone offer some alternatives?
    Thanks!

2. cmn

cmn New Member

Is that a dual boot system you have in this PC or just Win 7 beta Build 7000 Bit 64? If that is a Dual- boot system do you experience the same audio problem in the other Non-Win7 system? I am trying to differentiate between Wn 7 problem vs non-OS related issue on account of its sudden onset.
    I will await your response.

3. zetski210

zetski210 New Member

I have a dual-boot system and the sound output works on the other boot (ubuntu).

4. cmn

cmn New Member

That rules out any hardware issues in the Sound card to Loud Speakers in the Linux including the choice of the hardware in Multimedia.

In Windows 7 can you recheck Control Panel> Sound and in the Sound properties screen under Playback menubar locate Select a playback device below to modify its settings: and verify your Speakers icon is Ticked/Checked in that box.

Whenever something strange happens I always do a second and if needed 3rd look and [in my view the Best Diagnostic test is to go over what I could have over looked] in a systematic manner in "student mode" even if it might appear silly :) But that gives me the feeling I have not left any stone unturned :)

5. zetski210

zetski210 New Member

Yeah, I figured it was not a hardware fault (like a blown audio driver IC on the mobo), but I just wanted to see if anyone else has this issue.

The listed devices in control panel are headphones and SPDIF, I've removed both of them, re-booted and let Win7 reinstall the drivers for both of them. Still nothing.

I'm toying with the idea of a complete re-install of the OS, but was hoping that there was a less "drastic" fix.
    (I've got some re-partitioning to do anyway, so it's not a huge problem).

6. cmn

cmn New Member

I have not had similar problems except when the Headset's 3.5 mm plugs come out of the soundcard sound ports which I might have been unaware and I spend a lot of time looking for a software cause only to find that the Jack was out of the Box!
    Just to throw 3 options to try:

1. F8 Adavanced Options Last Known Good Configuration
    2. Looking for any corrupt protected system files responsible for the problem > SFC /Scannow in elevated Command Prompt
    3. System Repair

7. zetski210

zetski210 New Member

Sorry, but I forgot to mention, I've done a system restore -> no sound.
    I'll try some other options.
    (I'm not on my Win7 PC atm, but will try this arvo)

8. cjlanda

cjlanda New Member

I have the same problem that zetski210 is having. All audio is lost on Windows 7 Evaluation copy 7100 for x86. I noticed this problem after I plugged the speaker cable back in after a few hours of being unplugged. This computer has only 1 Operating system installed in it, so I think is safe to rule out dual-boot.

System still detects that audio is playing (i.e. green volume meter, etc) and speakers work well with an ipod. The problem is persistent on front and back speaker ports.

I wonder if there is a hotfix or a workaround for this?

thanks,

Cesar

9. mosquibee

mosquibee New Member

Well I don't have a solution but I do have some mental support to offer: I've got exactly the same problem. I just switched off my computer, came back an hour later, switched it on and now the sound is completely gone. I have both an E-MU 0404 sound card and Realtek onboard sound. Both do absolutely nothing, except for pushing the green meter up & down. ARG!

10. Agent Data

Agent Data Banned

uninstall sound driver, delete sound device in device-manager then boot into safe mode and sweep driver - reboot, install driver! maybe that helps?

11. meegee67

meegee67 New Member

I have the same problem. All idications are the sound is working and playing but you cannot hear a thing. This does not happen all the time. The sound randomly just stops working. If I login as local admin run something with audio it does not start for a couple seconds and then it comes back. I go back and login as regular user and I can now hear sound. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen.

12. keimanzero

keimanzero New Member

By the strangest of coincidences I finally got my sounds back. Had nothing to do with drivers, speakers, defaults, browsers or error messages either. You see I have an HP Pavilion p6330f Home Premium desktop PC which runs a Windows 7 OS. The monitor I have is a big one- HPw1907 (19 inches) and at the lower right are four control pads. Menu, Volume/-, Screen/+ and Auto/Select. I struck Volume by accident while typing and a screen came up saying volume with a - on the left and a + on the right. The bar between them was open, entirely open but when I hit Screen/+ or used the right arrow on my keyboard it filled in to 100%. Presto! Sound was back- with a vengeance because I had left my onscreen volume controls at maximum! Now I am A-OK with sounds. Hope this may help someone here. Have a cool weekend and week- jack/keimanzero Campbelltown PA-USA