Suggetions

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I bought a Dell XPS 8100 in Nov. 2010 and had display driver problems for months. Dell finally replaced memory- 6 gbs, motherboard and video card. The card was replaced 2 times.
Dell techs tried to uninstall and install drivers from both Dell site and ATI as the card is ATI HD Radeon 5450.
My screen continued to go dark for a split second and then said,"Display drivers failed but are recovering".
After a few more attempts by myself I incorporated the use of Drive Sweeper and using safe mode seemed to have stopped the problem. It has been weeks since any symptoms.
I spoke with ATI who said this is widespread, cannot be replicated in the lab, and each fix is unique to each pc.
I wrote to AMD and after their analysing with Belarc and other dx said the same. Also, upate BIOs, updates current, replace hardware.
Dell won't talk with me.
If this "bug" as they call it is so widespread, I am wondering if anyone here has experienced the same or similiar symptoms.
Their reply does not pass the smell test with me but how would one go about doing anything about it if they come from their vague position?
So, have you had such sysmptoms and can you think of any actions I can take to get Dell to return my calls. I do have an extended hardware warranty and a field tech has been here two times. Of course Dell maintains this is solely software. I countered by saying that a format and recovery does not fix it so it most probably is hardware.
My last communication from AMD was that over the last 11 years millions of pcs have been affected by this bug, from XP,thru Vista and into WIn 7. They maintain new machines would not necessarily solve the issue and each owner must find the combination of ingredients that triggers this problem.
I look forward to some positive intersting discussion about this issue and thank you for listening.
Peter

If you're still having problems with the hardware, I would recommend to take your own steps diagnosing each part. As always, it is worth checking the hardware settings in the bios.

Hello
It seems to have stabilized in that the screen has not flickered nor has the error message reappeared.
I have never worked with hardware. I havethe antistatic bracelet to clean. I do not want to void theWarranty but because tDell does not rply, it is impotent.
I will have to try aa new model card if the problem comes back.
Btw, have you heard about this widespread isse ATI AMD and dell say exists?
I Googled it and there seems to be evidence to support this "bug"
May I ask what you mean by >>checking the hardware settings in the bios.<<
Once I understand this, I can try to work forward. I am familiar with trouble shooting steps on autos and other machines in that you replace one part and deuce until you locate the item causing the proble.
The poer supply would come after a new model card I believe.
I ws just thrown off by the parts in the BIOS -I thinkthat means everything that affectes the in and out operation of this machine.
Thank you
Peter
P.S. I apologize if I did not post properly. I usually do well but this a bit different. I clicked post once but did not see my message so have created this one. I accept criticism.

Btw, have you heard about this widespread isse ATI AMD and dell say exists?

No, I haven't. Screen can suddenly go dark because of a bad video driver - reinstalling it with the use of the driver sweeper probably did the trick.

May I ask what you mean by >>checking the hardware settings in the bios.

Sure, for example if you set your memory timings to the wrong values, or if you overclock the CPU, you may get the entire system to malfunction.

It seems to have stabilized in that the screen has not flickered nor has the error message reappeared.

Then don't worry about anything unless you notice the same symptoms again.

Hello
The BIOS settings certainly sound complex but as you suggest, unless the same symptoms appear, it is sound to use the machine without second thought.
Thank you for your advice.
I am getting used to the forum and like it a lot.

Back