svchost using too much bandwidth

svchost is using too much bandwidth. I am monitoring with NetLimiter 3 Pro. For example, from 5 to 6 AM it downloaded 268 MB and uploaded 6 MB. This is a problem since my internet provider sets a 400 MB/day download limit, so in less than 2 hours the limit is used up. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit with SP 1 installed.

This problem started a few months ago. I've had this computer since December. I'm having the same problem with my wife's computer (Windows 7, 32-bit).

I have checked for malware with Norton 360, Webroot, Windows Defender, and a few other freebee programs. Other than a few cookies with low threat levels and "Power Reg Scheduler" there was nothing there. I have removed these few items. I have also run Wisefixer, that fixed over 200 supposed registry errors. None of this has had an effect.

I know that svchost is used by other programs. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what the problem could be or what I should do next to investigate the problem.


Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Try using Microsoft Sysinternals - Process Explorer to isolate which svchost.exe is using the bandwidth and then look at the active tcp/ip sessions and take note of the host names its connecting to, perhaps this will give you insight to be able to link the bandwidth to a 3rd party service that's using the bandwidth.

Sysinternals Process Explorer


Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Process Explorer is good and will allow you to look inside the svchosts.exe to see what might be using the bandwidth.

The Resource Manager included in Win 7 may also help give you some clues. Using the Network tab, you can gather quite a bit of info. The fact you know when this is happening means you can compare the downloads in the different time periods to see what differences there are.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.