Windows 7 Swapping hard drives

spiker7221

I have two laptops that are identical...HP Compaq nw9440. I have a 100gig drive in LAPTOP#1, and a 750gig drive in LAPTOP#2. Both drives are running an identical Windows 7 Enterprise typical install.

Can I put the 750gig drive in to LAPTOP#1? Can I create and save an NTBTLOG.txt file from each laptop (I.E. ntbtlog-LP1.txt) and select either one during the boot-up?

The reason is LAPTOP#2 is not running very well. It has been dropped and I fear the motherboard may have a crack in it causing random boot problems. Sometimes the laptop doesn't even recognize the hard drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

MB

If you're using a MAK key, the OS should detect hardware change (different serial numbers) and scream for activation. If kms i dont know, maybe when you touch base with the server next time. Other than that, it should be fine.

I'm not sure about the ntbtlog.txt part. Do you want to log the boots?

Make sure the current hard drive is seated. A bump might have dislodged some connectors. Of course, dropping a hard drive can cause problems for it...Maybe running chkdsk on it would show something.

I can't really speak to the other things as far as compatibility, but try it to see what happens. It might be good to make an image backup first. I suppose you would not be advantageous to use a new hard drive for testing...

Back