switched domain to workgroup and can longer log onto computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by mattharms, Jun 9, 2009.

1. mattharms

mattharms New Member

I was trying to setup a network to accexx windows xp desktop from windows 7 laptop. The 7 machine was on a domain thourgh work. I clicked this off and instead put in my home network workgroup name. I left the laptop name the same and only changed the workgroup name. Anyway now when I restart the laptop I am not allowed to login. My username still pops up but my password doesn't work. The windows 7 maching also does not have a cd or dvd drive. I found some password breaking freeware but they all need a bootable cd. Am I screwed and have to go begging to our schools tech guys?

2. owenspal

owenspal New Member

If you remove a machine from a domain (ie. change it to a be added back workgroup) it cannot be added back without administrator involvement.Yes,you gotta go begging the tech guys!!!

3. owenspal

owenspal New Member

last post should read (ie. change it to a workgroup)

4. mattharms

mattharms New Member

but why can't I log into the machine? Shouldn't it be going to the workgroup now instead of the domain?

5. owenspal

owenspal New Member

mattharms,
    Are you sure you are trying to log on to "this machine" only?? Should have choice of domain or local machine at login. Also possible windows password was/is not same as domain pswd. You're still going to have to call your admin folks or take pc back to them to get machine back on domain. I did same thing as you a few years ago on a company win2000 machine. needed to get some data off my personal network machine and did not realize until too late it was a bad move!!!