Windows 7 System Builders

dooglo

Question?
Can anyone purchace, and use a Microsoft OEM System Builder License?
Instead of building a system for someone (customer), and do it for your self?
Reason why I ask is because NewEgg has Win 7 System Bulder OS's for cheaper than regular. Why can't I purchase that if I wanted and build a new system for myslef and install OS?

Curious,

D.

No exactly sure, but I believe you have to provide credentials that you are a business or verified reseller.

I have purchased OEM from Royal software in the past with no questions. Some places throw in a jumper wire to qualify the purchase buy with equipment requirement. Keep in mind this can only be installed on one PC and you won't be able to make changes to the motherboard it is ties to that on activation. Major changes to hardware make it necessary to reactivate over the phone. I think you can only reinstall 3 times in a year now then have to call MS to reactivate.
Joe

My vista copy was oem and Joe says there are limits as to what you can do with it. As long as it's tied to one machine you can install it as many times as you like although if you change the motherboard then this counts as a different computer and the licence is invalid( I forgot to mention that you can only change the CPU once or maybe twice before the licence is invalidated). That doesn't mean to say that you still cannot get the os to work because you can but as I said above even though you can get it activated by phone the licence won't stand up..

Thanks. Some say you'll have no support from MS. What exactly does that mean? No updates? Or help if you can't figure something out?

D.

Well you get updates just like any other version does.. It's just that the licence cannot be transfered to another pc like you can with a full copy.
Do you have a link as to where this info is and I'll have a quick look..maybe it's something new?

Yup thats just the difference between full and OEM copies.. Like has been said, the only difference is that with OEM your tied to one machine. Full versions can be installed on any machine as long as it's one at a time..
Also when you buy a full or upgrade version you get both 32 and 64bit copies.. OEM is either 32 or 64bit but not both..
This guide here, although for vista, has the basic facts:

Buying OEM versions of Windows Vista: the facts - Ars Technica

Back
Top Bottom