System Image Missing Hard Drive

Hello,

I am trying to create a System Image, but neither it nor Back up & Restore gives me the option of saving to my second Hard Drive, even though it does appear in Windows Explorer and Disk Management.

As a bit of background, my computer has ended up in a strange configuration after updating to WIndows 7 Build 7100. I had two HDDs before, one had Windows XP and two other partitions on it, the other had back up data. When I decided to try out Win7, I bought a second, identical HDD as my first one and made an image of it. I then unplugged my first HDD and am keeping that separate so that I can easily revert to it if I have to (or if I missed migrating any data). Win 7 install went fine onto my new HDD except now my data HDD is Disk 0 and my boot HDD with C drive is Disk 1. Presumably because of that, in my BIOS I have to set up the boot order as my data HDD, not my C drive Disk, but it all works and boots up quickly. Both HDD are basic NTFS disks, not dynamic ones.

Now however, trying to set up System Image, Back up & Restore, the program does not find my data HDD or give me the option of saving an image or back up to it.

Any ideas on what I should do to be able to get the Image, Back up & Restore program to identify it? Any ideas on re-ssigning Dick 0 and DIsk 1, or does that make any difference at all?

Thanks

Mike

ShadowProtect & Windows 7

Well, this might not answer you disk re-assigning quetion, but I recently read that StorageCraft ShadowProtect can backup/restore Windows 7 Beta ( ShadowProtect backs up Windows 7 : Security Watch - Internet Security News: IT security, Business security, Computer security, Network security, and more ).

Accoring to their site, they offer a 30 day free trial of their software for desktop PCs, so maybe give that a shot ? ( Storagecraft - complete data backup, disk imaging, disaster recovery, migration and data protection solutions in the UK for Windows servers, desktops and laptops. - | StorageCraft | fast System Backup + Disaster Recovery )

Cheers,
Awfers

Awfers,

Thank you for your reply. I have been using Acronis TrueImage for a while and have been very happy with it. They are working on a Win7 version (2009 version mostly works, but has a couple of issues). In this case I wanted to see how well the MS solution works. So far, it doesn't do anything for me.

Cheers,

Mike

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.