Windows 10 System Image

rjordan

Hello,
I made an image of everything on my computer on a external drive on 07/06/17 and now I discovered that a file is missing in my computer.
I suspect this file may be on the external drive. So If I restore the contents of this external drive, what happens to the existing software and files all ready on the computer?

What kind of image? If this is a complete clone such as clonezilla, or macrium reflect. If you lay the image back on the system everything will revert to what was on the system when you created image.

Its a system image of everything that was on the computer. But I see by your answer that it appears I will lose whats on my computer now if I restore the image; is that correct?

You may have the ability to just restore the missing file. I know Macrium has this built in. Clonzilla also mat have this function.
You just need to know where the file is and find in it in the image and restore it to the folder it belongs.

I have neither of those. When I first checked for files under Users in the image backup, a message poped up saying I need to install "SNAP IT" located under disk management. But I saw nothing in disk management to clue me where it is located. There may be other files lost that I may have forgotten about. I'll check the system image again to see if I can locate the files that where in my Documents section.

My Bad.
I just read some material that tells me that a system image only copies the files that windows needs to operate. I do not know where I read that it copies all my files unless I misread the article. But its no matter, I can make another file that I lost from memory.

Going forward, if you can't afford Acronis, I would argue Clonezilla is the best software going forward. In almost every case, it is capable of backing up nearly any type of hard drive with any type of partition without issue. On the other hand, Acronis has some excellent UI elements and a management interface that can help you better organize and catalog those backups. You can also schedule incremental and differential backups that will help save space.

Hi

Your system image file should copy everything on your drive including the boot sector if it is your C drive.

It should be capable of restoring your drive to exactly the way it was when you made the backup.

If you want free image creation software I recommend EaseUS Todo backup free.

I have used it for years and it has always worked for me it will create a DVD or flash drive that will boot your computer if it is unbootable and restore you drive to exactly the way it was when you create the image.

Free Download EaseUS Backup Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server.

Hi

Your system image file should copy everything on your drive including the boot sector if it is your C drive.

It should be capable of restoring your drive to exactly the way it was when you made the backup.

If you want free image creation software I recommend EaseUS Todo backup free.

I have used it for years and it has always worked for me it will create a DVD or flash drive that will boot your computer if it is unbootable and restore the drive to exactly the way it was when you create the image.

Free Download EaseUS Backup Software for Windows PC, Workstation and Server.

Back